how do you potty train a 1 yo?

My daughter hates to wear a wet diaper, she has started taking them off every time she wets. I know she's only one but it seems i should start to potty train her since she is kinda showing the signs that she is ready. With her having just turned one in July tho I just don't know where to start. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

jdaug

Asked by jdaug at 1:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Children that haven't been walking for six months are physically unable to control the muscles in their bladder that allows them to hold it until they get to the potty. So, yeah, she's not physically ready.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You can try to potty train her. She may not be ready, and if she's not, don't push the issue. Can she talk enough to tell you she has to go potty?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I don't think she is ready to potty train. I would be concerned it would actually set her back because I doubt that she has the physical control at this age.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Many potty training books that I have seen recommend not starting their process (the process listed in the book) until 22 months.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 2:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• ummm in my opinion you don't! Still too young. My 17mos old also takes her diaper off but I am not even trying till she is close to 22mos. My other daughter also use to take the diaper off and she was easy to train but I still waited till she was 25mos to even start and she was easy at that time! If you start before she is ready it can take twice as long and you will get frustrated too. I had a few friends who started early and were pulling there hair out.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You just need to check her more often if she's pulling it off. Just put a dry one on. She is not ready for a potty.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 3:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes, some children are ready to potty train early. Mine was trained by two. So, she trained while she was one. You have to have reasonable expectations based on the age. That's the main thing. A one year old will have tons of accidents at first, and expect them once in a while for at least six months after she's done. My baby is 2.5, and she has about one accident a week or so. Most of the time, she catches her self and finishes on the potty.

Introduce the potty chair. Let her see you go. Make it exciting. "I love putting my pee in the potty!" What one year old wouldn't want to? She isn't going to get it as fast as a four year old, but if they catch on within a day, they probably were ready long before you started.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• apexmommy, if your DD was almost one, then chances are she was a lot closer to 22 months than 12 months as the OP indicated her child was.

OP- It never hurts to introduce the potty. Just don't expect her to be able to do a lot at this age. However, check out this 3-day potty training method. I think we are going to do this. It sounds fool-proof. She also suggests that 22 months is the best age, but she does address starting sooner.

http://www.3daypottytraining.com/  Good luck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2009