Skipped sippy, went to straw.

My son wouldn't drink from any sippy cup, we tried all different types. We got him some straw cups and he loves it. He loves drinking from straws. Do you think it's okay to skip the whole sippy cup use and go to straws?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if he likes the straws then let him have the straws its okay if you skpped the sippy cups
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 2:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• A sippy cup is NOT a necessity.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Consider yourself lucky!! You didn't have to break the sippy cup like most moms do.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• yeah nothing wrong with that. My daughter would not take the sippy either so we did sports bottles but I did finally get her to take the sippy. I really prefer sippy cups in the car.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 3:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My daughter wanted NOTHING to do with sippy cups. We have several different types. At 1, we finally realized that she would never take a sippy. She likes to drink out of regular cups, but I hold them for her. I finally found the straw cups and she LOVES it. She gets confused sometimes though, because she wants to tip them like a bottle. Straw cups are better than sippy cups, because they are one step closer to big kid cups.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• OP Here. Thank you for the responds. I was talking to a friend and she told me to stop the straw cups and go back to trying sippy because sippy was the "next step" in drinking. I thought it was nice I didn't have to mess around with sippy cups any more. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a study or something about what steps in drinking for babies. I know that there is a big thing about making sure baby crawls before walking. I wanted to make sure it wasn't sippy before straw :).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I agree with the person who responded that a sippy is NOT a necessity. As a matter of fact, most pediatric dentists these days recommend that you don't even offer a sippy cup but do exactly what you did and go straight to straw cups. Sippys are absolutely horrible for teeth, as they reinforce the exact same mouth and lip actions that are used to suck on a bottle. Our son still nurses, but when when he is at daycare he is given expressed milk in a straw cup. We didn't ever use sippys. When he was about 10 months old, we gave him a straw cup and that was that. I commend you on going straight to the straw! LOL!
    tippymorgan08

Answer by tippymorgan08 at 1:19 AM on Aug. 22, 2009