Nudity and Children

ok so yesteday I asked a question about bathing with your kids, I was not able to come back and see the answers til this morning but I made a comment about wearing a bathing suit when I first bathed with my kids. Some mom's said it was silly and that there has never been a problem with nudity, my question is how many of you agree or disagree? My reasoning is that I don't want to expose my kids to that too soon, IDK maybe I'm a bad mom to some for this but I feel that they might think it's ok to be nude, some children do as parents do. I'm not targeting anyone, This is just my opinion and my take on it. Am I just being paranoid? not reasonable? I know that my girls ask questions (ages 4 &2) sometimes I just don't know what to say about why I have boobs and they don't yet, if they walk in on me changing they'll cover there eyes and say eww! I don't want to expose them to it but I don't want to phycologically mess them up advice?

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 2:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that you are their mother. I do not think that seeing you nude s going to have any ill effects on them. I don't think them NOT seeing you naked will have any ill effects either. If you aren't comfortable with them seeing you naked then that's fine. It's called modesty. :0) Some people are just more modest than others. I would be concerned more about you covering their eyes and saying 'eew' when they walk in on you! I don't like my son to see me naked now that he is older so if he walks in on me I quickly cover up and say. "I'm getting dressed can you please step out a min? I'll be right out' Just remember whether they see you naked or not they are still going to ask questions at some point. You aren't a bad mom at all. Actually the fact that you are concerned about it at all is a big sign that you are a great Mom.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I don't think you're a bad mom, just insecure in this one area, and we all have our areas that we can work on. Firstly, your daughters WILL be women someday, and someday they will have hair on their private parts and boobies. And that is how you address it. "Mommy, why do you have boobies?" "To feed babies (if you bf'ed, if not then just) someday you will have them too, when you get bigger". "Mommy, why do you have hair down there" "Someday you will have it too when you get older". It is better to do this, then for them to be clueless when they start growing boobs, or hair on their lower regions. This way, they aren't shocked, scared, or confused when it happens to them. Even with my period, if dd walks in while I'm changing things out and asks, it is simply, "This happens when you get older, it's called a period, it's normal" which is usually all they need to hear, "IT'S NORMAL". Otherwise, it can scare them.
    Petie

Answer by Petie at 2:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Why are you bathing with them? They seem old enough to take a bath with you just sitting in the bathroom with them.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 2:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If you think its bad then they will think the same.It is difficult for a modest person that was raised modestly to act natural when standing there in the nude with your kids in the room,but really...if you make it no big deal then it won't be.For me, it was nothing to be naked around my son when he was younger.He's 9 now and we do have the"privacy policy" in our house.Knock before entering and such.I do cover up when I know he is coming into a room if I just get out of the shower or something because he is older.Just do what you feel is right for you and your family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My reasoning is that I don't want to expose my kids to that too soon, IDK maybe I'm a bad mom to some for this but I feel that they might think it's ok to be nude,

Of course it's okay to be naked in the bathtub.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• robinsi2000 Why are you bathing with them? They seem old enough to take a bath with you just sitting in the bathroom with them.

Hi so yeaterday when I wrote my question I said that when they were younger and were scared to take a bath I got in with a bathing suit and let them pour water over my hair and shampoo so they wouldnt be scared, I don't bathe with them anymore but I also don't shower with them at this point either.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Them being girls what exactly are you exposing them to? You all have the same parts ... when they get older and start participating in sports and such they will be exposed to other females in the showers and such. You need to teach them that it is okay but only in certain circumstances.

I quit showering with my son when he was 2 but that's only because he's a boy and started pointing and asking questions. If I had a daughter i'd be alot different about it.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 2:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• BridgetC140 -Yeah I see what you mean I guess I just haven't gotten over my insecurities about it.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• well my little one is just 14 months and i take baths with her every now and then,i think they are to young to harm them with being nude or changing around them,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• KalebsMommee----- ok I see, I was just scared of over exposing them and then they grow up and think it's ok to be naked in the shower alone or with someone else. I'm not talking about when there adults either.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 2:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2009