Tantrums

How do I get my 16 month old under control when she has a tantrum wether it be in a store, at a restaurant, at home.

MarissaDavis29

Asked by MarissaDavis29 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my 14month old throws herself down,i hold her hand and let her throw her fit for a minute then i pick her up,she knows im not giving in
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Don't give in! ...and don't get all flustered and start screaming back at her...that just makes it worse!! Try and stay as calm as possible, much easier said than done!...Make sure to get down to her level and talk to her ...it honestly helps so much more.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 2:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• holding is good, my sister used that and it worked for her and her daughter

i use the ignore, my daughter does not do the hold, she gets worse!

as long as she is on carpet, and away from furniture, i let her go and ignore her while i play with her funtoys on the other side of the room, she usually sees that i am having fun and she is not getting any attention, i feel any attention is attention, good or bad, it is what she wants, so she does not get any
    if we are out at store, sometimes i have to leave a full cart and go to car to get her in car seat, it is safe when she is belted in, this is no easy feat, but at least she is safe from herself, store floors are pretty hard when they throw themselves down.

she is two now and it is getting a bit better (i hate to even type that in fear that i may jinx it)

welcome to my world of tantrums, nice to know another one of us moms who deal with it

gl
    kat
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• just ignore her. sometimes if my son is throwing a fit in the store i'll just stick him in the cart & let him go. if it's bad, i'll either have DH take him out or if im by myself ill just leave with her. My mom did that too. One time she left like $300 worth of groceries because my sister was throwing a fit. If you give in & give attention it will get a billion times worse
    adrians_mommy

Answer by adrians_mommy at 6:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2009