Doesn't your back hurt?

My DD is only 6 mos. and this week my back is shot from carrying her around. It's not like I hold her constantly, but I carry her into daycare in her heavy carseat, carry her up the stairs, from the bath, etc. You get the idea. Anyway, my back is KILLING ME and she only weighs 15 lbs. or so. How do you do it? How can you carry them around all the time when they're even heavier??

danielp

Asked by danielp at 2:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First make sure you are alternating arms that you carry your LO in. I had issues with just my right side as I am right handed. Also, as soon as mine could hold their heads up fairly well, I stopped taking in the car seat everywhere, that helped alot!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 2:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• did u have an epideral with her that could be part of the problem. my youngest is 13 yrs. old and my back is still killing me. i had 2 epidarals and it really screwed my back up bad.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 2:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I had an epideral and mine is still killing me 2 years later. I can only stand up for a few hours and sometimes it catches and i cant even get up! It really messed me up.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 2:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I had a spinal and it has just started hurting. It's sore, like from lifting something heavy so I'm pretty sure it's from carrying her.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 3:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I've had three epidurals and can relate back pain to none of them. Once they became too heavy to be carried in the infant carrier seat, I quit using it.

Make sure you're picking them up correctly. You still should lift with your legs, not your back. Stand correctly, don't jut your hip out so they sit on your hip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Ergo baby carriers distribute the weight evenly so it isn't such a strain on your back. Even a sling may be helpful, as it keeps the kiddos weight close to your body and doesn't put an awkward strain. Car seats get HEAVY! ;)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 3:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2009