What misinformation have you heard about epidurals?

There is a lot of b.s. out there about them. What are some of the things you have heard? ( for those who have not had one )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• doulala, it made me totally pain free. Fabulous!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• How do I know if it's misinformation if I haven't had one?
    wikem81

Answer by wikem81 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That they are safe for mom and baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That they are not safe for mom and baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That they Can Not cause paralysis.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That they always slow labor. Both of mine had the opposite effect.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Hello, I'm the first anonymous poster. I just thought I would add (explain) to my first post. The following are excerpts from a book. (NOTE: Ina May is one of, if not, the top midwife in this country. She is asked to speak at countless OBGYN and Midwifery conferences, among other things).

Gaskin, I. M. (2003). Ina May's Guild to Childbirth. New York: Bantam Dell

"The epidural is the most effective form of pain relief. In some U.S. hospitals more than eight-five percent of women have and epidural during labor."

Here is her list of advantages over other forms of obstetric anesthesia:

" It doesn't cause nausea and vomiting, as does general anesthesia, and it leaves the mother conscious"

"Administered correctly, it doesn't cause a spinal headache, as spinal anesthesia sometimes can." However the mother has to take the risk of it not being administered correctly.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Continued...
    "From and institutional perspective, epidurals have the advantage of keeping women quiet and in one place."

Here is her list (well some of them) of side effects:

It can cause the blood presser of mom and/or baby. Because of this a mother who has an epidural must be on an IV to administer fluids to raise her blood pressure back to a safe level.
    It causes a fever in 1 in 5 women. This fever cannot be distinguished from an infection, therefore she and the baby will both undergo a septic workup (more needle stabs, increased separation, and can include a spinal tap).

They don't always work, even if given correctly. 3% have no change in status quo, while 12% get only some relief.

"Some women experience itching all over their bodies after having an epidural."

If given to early in labor, it can slow progress of cervical dilation, the decent of the baby, and proper positioning of the baby.
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Continued...
    "Epidural labor are more likely to result in cesarean sections than natural labors."

"Babies whose mothers had epidurals sometimes have breathing difficulties and difficult time establishing breastfeeding."

"Very rarely (one in five thousand cases, or so), an epidural can result in maternal death or permanent paralysis."
    hillmom

Answer by hillmom at 4:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• you don't have to have used an epidural to know what misinformation is regarding it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2009