Have you ever heard of this???

I took my son to the dentist yesterday to get a sealant and a filling. I knew the filling would require a sedative by numb the area and my son is scared of doctors so pain management is a must.

The nurse asked me to sign 3 consent forms for the shot, sealant and filling. I wait in the lobby because my son will fidget and not pay attention if he sees me. Visits go by quicker if I am out of the doctor's way.

I hear the drill, suction and moaning. I figured the shot was given and the doc is going to work. He went to work alright...without any sedatives. The drill is going full blast, my son is screaming "OWWW OWWW! IT HURTS! STOP! I WANT MY MOM!" I come back there and the doctor blames the crying on my son, throws his hands up at me that he can't work like this and take him somewhere else. What doctor drills on an 8 year old without meds and then blames the child for it?

I am beyond livid and have filed a complaint.

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG I WOULD BEAT THAT DR. A**. THE POLICE WOULD BE TAKING ME OUT OF THERE. BUT THE AMBULANCE WOULD BE TAKING THE DR. OUT. MY KIDS DENTIST ALWAYS NUMB MY KIDS AND THEY ARE 13, AND 15.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 3:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Obviously not a pediatric dentist? A pediatric dentist would know what a small child needs, requires, deserves. And I believe even the ADA has said not to seperate from your kiddo in the dental office.

So now what? Well, the compaint. And give your kiddo a break.,,, and find a LOVELY **pediatric** dentist who'll knock him out with gas or something so he wont have any further trauma. And hold his hand the entire time. you wont be in the way... I assure you.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• OMG. i am so sorry that your child experienced that. not that you need to be told, but please give that baby extra love and hugs! i hope steps are taken to avoid that doctor behaving this way with anyone else's child ever again.

all the best to your poor little boy.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Not only would I be filing a complaint for what he did.. Doing anything without any numbing gel atleast (The numbing medication is different than a sedative btw) but i'd be beyond livid and would have probably went on that dentist's ass for saying anything about my son crying or being in pain and to take him somewhere else. I'd bust my ass to get his license stripped from him.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 3:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• and there was a communication problem either your end or Dr's... regarding final confirmation of the sedative. Figure out where that problem was to prevent it from happening again. But problems wont happen if you're bedside to ensure them. He's laying down helpless, be his advocate. The dentist could potentially have been trying to cut costs or something.... and no one was there to hold him acountable.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:03 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Thats horrible! Poor boy! If he was afraid before, he'll be terrified now. What a horrible dentist. Perhaps next time, at a new doctor, go in with him until just before they start and then leave if you being there is that distracting for him.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• hibbingmom~I didn't have the communication problem on my end. I informed them why he would need pain management and the nurses said they understood and would be assisting the dentist. I signed the consent to the sedative prior to him going back and was assured it was going to be given prior to the filling. The dentist decided to not give it to him because HE didn't think it was needed even when my son's telling him otherwise.

I have been on visits where I sat next to him and have been told my presence was a distraction since my son seeing me prompts him to talk when he needs to be still with his mouth open. I am holding this dentist accountable...I assure you. Thank you for your understanding.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009