homeschool outlawed!!

Can you believe this?? Germany has made homeschooling illegal! And Sweden is following right behind! The only exception in Germany is medical, and forgein workers with a visa. Im not sure who all knows, but California has tried this also. So does that mean we arent smart enough to school our own children? Whats your opinion on this?? Personally, I think its wrong. We should be able to school our own children.

AmandaN1

Asked by AmandaN1 at 3:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Answered at 12:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Good for them. I think we need better regulation of homeschooling here. It shouldn't be an excuse to not educate your child.
    ~~~~
    That on your part is really ignorant to the regulations to have our children at home. Many and most Home schooled children have parents that are educated and have also become certified to teach.
    I would go anon. too if I sounded so idiotic.
    Who is better to teach one's child if not their own parent(s)?
    People will still be convicted in their hearts to see their child(ren) have a better start in life than what PS has to offer. They will have their children stay home whether the government accepts it or not.
    Our children do not and have never belonged to a Government system.
    It is basically about the $$$$$$.
    Without the children, the schools will not have the funds to keep the PS systems open.
    We homeschooled for 18 years.
    ACLJ vs ACLU.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 3:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Well, I think thats a shame.

I think many will like that fact cuz they feel you should have credentials but I dont necessarily agree with that.

I think too much anymore is about what the government wants vs whats best for the family.

Im homeschooling this year but not because of religion but because our school system lacks BIG TIME and I dont want my child to lose his love of learning and curiosity just cuz the gov't doesnt wanna be bothered doing whats needed to improve the schools(around here anyway).
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think that it is a person's own right to homeschool their children and that this is almost taking away the freedom of the parent to parent their child in the way they feel is best. I wouldn't personally homeschool my child but I like having the opportunity to if I feel it is right.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 3:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think it is absolutely ludicrous!! I think that California wanting to outlaw it is even more horrible, as this is America and we ARE allowed to educate our children in the manner which we see fit. What's next, outlawing private schools??
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 3:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Good for them. I think we need better regulation of homeschooling here. It shouldn't be an excuse to not educate your child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i think its a great idea. homeschooling is ridiculous and its a sad thing to do to your children. childrean need social interaction, and friends, and to learn how to function with different kinds of people and without there mommy and daddy there every second. and honestly, no, i dont think just because your a mom you can teach your child as well as someone with a college degree can.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 3:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Both my neice and nephew have been home-schooled, and my niece graduated early and started college early. And I know many many families like this. A most of the times, they get a better education that way. There are those few who don't, but there are rules in most states where they have to past certain tests every semester to make sure they are learning and if they don't get behind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Answered at 12:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 by: PURPULbutterfly
    i think its a great idea. homeschooling is ridiculous and its a sad thing to do to your children. childrean need social interaction, and friends, and to learn how to function with different kinds of people and without there mommy and daddy there every second. and honestly, no, i dont think just because your a mom you can teach your child as well as someone with a college degree can.
    ____________
    And what school did you go to?
    Your spelling and punctuation show your ability to promote PS.
    Your attitude in all of your remarks show what social interaction and friends have shown you.
    My children are my responsibility and what they learn about life and skills CAN be taught by their parents. That is our God given right.
    We will be among many that will continue home-schooling our children; regardless of what the government thinks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• ered at 12:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 by: Anonymous
    Both my neice and nephew have been home-schooled, and my niece graduated early and started college early. And I know many many families like this. A most of the times, they get a better education that way. There are those few who don't, but there are rules in most states where they have to past certain tests every semester to make sure they are learning and if they don't get behind.
    ~~~~
    My sister started home studies with her daughter 3 years before we started.
    We were also able to keep our foster children home for their educations. Both her family and ours.
    Guess that says something for the way that our 2 families had schooling.
    Yes, there are the families that choose to "no shool" & I do not agree with that myself; however, there are kids in the PSs that don't participate in learning either.
    People will continue to do what works for them.
    It is not the Gov.' decisio
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• This is nothing new, really. Germany has been taking kids away from homeschooling parents for a while now.

Any attempt to "regulate" homeschooling here just isn't going to happen -- sorry to tell you. We, who homeschool, are very passionate about it. We do it for a reason --- because the 'regulations' aren't cutting it! Because their gauge for whether or not a child is learning (state mandated testing) is pathetic & too much class time is being devoted to it than actual learning. Because 'regulations' kill a child's curiosity and natural instinctive love of learning.

I, for one, would pack my bags & move if my state's laws changed.... and I'm betting I wouldn't be the only one.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2009