how can i put icing on a cake

how can i put icing on a cake with it looking nice and smooth not blotchy and messy, Iam making a birthday cake for my daughters 3rd birthday party and i want it to look nice last time i made one it looked really messy LOL.. i can cook ..bake not so much haha HELP LADIES! tHANKS AHEAD!!

DiandraBryant07

Asked by DiandraBryant07 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Put the cake after it has cooled completly into the fridge. Let it get firm, then ice with a warm knife.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• and u can but it on this rotating cake plate and spin it around while the knife is gently icing the cake...it will be very smooth
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 3:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I can't make it smooth either. I used a decorating bag and made star-shaped dots all over the cake. It looked pretty cool and was very very easy! It is a ton easier than it looks. You can use regular frosting.
    http://www.wilton.com/technique/Star
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 3:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• you could aslo use I think its colled fondant? Roll it out then place over the cake.. I dk I alwasy just bought cakes when I need one..
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I like my frosting to look wavy. For the sides I draw the knife along them to make it pretty smooth, but the top I actually push the knife into the frosting gently and lift up in a sort of sideways and upward motion to draw the frosting up and make it look thick, and luxuriant.

Answer by Bmat at 5:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If you frost with room temperature frosting and a cake that is still slightly warm, the frosting will melt a little and get a smoother finish.

Alternately, nuke the frosting (stopping occasionally) to stir until it is thin enough to pour. Put your cake on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet (to catch drips) and pour the frosting over the cake. When the frosting cools, it will crust up with a smooth, even, layer.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Let the cake cool completely. Spread on a thin layer of frosting (crumb coat/layer) then frost as you normally would.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• you could use fondant this always looks very nice. here is a good link http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/rolled-fondant.cfm
    toledoohiomom

Answer by toledoohiomom at 9:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2009