Gestational Diabetes testing- failed first test- going in for the 3 hour test next week

Bah humbug, they're taking more of my blood.

How did your diabetes testing work out?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 3:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Mine went badly. I ended up having to shoot insulin three times a day from about 5 months thru delivery. But after about a month after giving birth my numbers went back down and I am at normal levels now and have been for almost two years. Remember that it is likely that failing the first test indicates a complication, so be prepared for a less-than-desirable result to the second test. And if you do test positive for GD, they will send you to a dietician who will help you learn to count carbs and watch for other things that will aggravate the GD. My best advice is PAY ATTENTION to what the dietician says - I didn't at first, and that's when they started me on the insulin. But it actually ends up being a good thing sometimes - it helped me learn to eat better in the long run, which helps with losing the baby weight after. Good luck! If you need support, PM me!
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 3:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• with my last I failed the first, but past the 3 hour one.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• miserable during the 3-hour test, which i failed, but was able to control GD with diet (no meds, just lots of finger-pricking good times). good luck, be prepared-- there's no way around it, it will suck!

the only thing that was pretty cool was the diagnostic center i used had a special room for women undergoing the test, separate from the regular waiting area. it had huge comfy recliners where we could rest while we waited. unfortunately, they didn't put me there until the first hour had gone by (and they noticed that i was turning green!). ask if your center has something like this, the difference is HUGE!
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 3:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• ur upset about giving blood- WHAT ABOUT THAT NASTY SUGER SHAKE....I wouldnt do that again for all the money in the world. I faild my first test because I threw it all up, when I refused to drink that stuff again, my doctor told me to eat 50 Jelly beans in 2mins- than to take the 3 hour test. LOL I passed!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 3:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I honestly thought the drink was delicious. Ever since i've been pregnant sugar has been so tasty, when i wouldn't touch it before. Shooting insulin doesn't sound like fun at all! bah!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i failed my first one. i ate a mint candy the night before and my doc said that was probably all it was since it wasnt too much over....i passed the three hour with no problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• So you're saying that prior diet from the night before can throw off the results? I had a chocolate muffin the day before.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My GD in my 2nd pregnancy was uncontrolled - I failed the 1 hour test, but the OB never sent me back for the 3 hour one. I was 10 days overdue before they induced me and I had a 10 lb baby girl.
    I had a different OB with my 3rd pregnancy and when I failed the first test she sent me for the 3 hour test, which I also failed. I was sent to a nutritionist and given a monitor, but my GD wasn't able to be controlled with diet at all - I even began walking more to try to help. I had to take insulin shots 3-4 times a day, which really wasn't hard or hurtful at all!!
    As soon as my daughter was born (8 lbs 12 oz) they checked her blood sugar and she was perfect. They checked my blood sugar and I was perfect. It is so amazing how the human body works and remedies itself!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• wow, i'm so sorry you had to have a ten pound baby- vaginally? ouch!!

staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009