Will this continue forever?? Help!

I am the mother of 1 beautiful and, most of the time, well-behaved 13 month old daughter. However, in the last month or so the is VERY clingy to me (and me only) I love to give her as much attention as she needs but its gotten so bad now that she will follow me from room to room and scream and cry until I pick her up. I try and set her up with something entertaining in whichever room I'm cleaning or whatnot but most of the time she wont have it. It hurts my husbands feelings that she is not content with just him the room and I feel like I am going crazy because I can't get anything done. I know I should'nt pick her up everytime she acts this way but the crying drives me up the wall (and I have tryed to let her just "cry it out" but she will go on forever and it kills me to let her continue on like that) Have I created a monster or will this pass soon? Any helpful ideas that worked for you?

JolieBsMom

Asked by JolieBsMom at 3:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This to shall pass.....
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• At 13 months she's still well within the baby-wearing age range.
    At that age (and still now occasionally) I would wear my daughter in a Patapum back carrrier (the ergo is similar, but any soft back carrier would do) - while I cleaned when she was feeling in need to some snuggles.

Baby is attached to mom, mom has free hands - win win.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 3:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My daughter now 20 months old went through that too. Never had any kind of separation anxiety before and then just got super clingy at about 14 months. I learned to hold her a lot, but sometime I was just very firm and told her no mommy is doing X., when I am done we can play with X. I would also move her highchair whereever I was and set her up with paints, or play dough, or something. Then she was at my level. She liked that. My poor husband go the brunt of it. Only mommy could do things. She had to be by mommy all the time. He would try to get her out of her crib in the morning and she would yell and scream and push him away. Only I could get her out. Hurt his feelings awful bad. She grew out of it all. She is not clingy now and like both of us the same. She runs to greet him at the door when he comes home and won't leave his side much of the time!!
    Drewlove

Answer by Drewlove at 3:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• oh yes it will pass...my now almost 3 yr old used to be that way but now is very independant and makes me close the bathroom door so she can potty in private....but...I now have a very clingy 16 month old....
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• it will pass. my son was the same way, but now he is clingy to both of us equally. me when i'm around, and dad if he comes home late. he even will stay up all night if thats what it takes until his daddy comes home lol... the other night i couldnt get him in bed for the life of me before 1 AM cuz daddy wasnt there :-( dad came home @1130 & he sat down on the couch, patted for dad to sit there, and wanted to spend his night time with dad lol it was bad. it will pass eventually... then you get the two's with the tantrums lol!
    adrians_mommy

Answer by adrians_mommy at 6:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes, it will pass & we, like you & Drewlove, had the same experience. They all go thru a separation anxiety typically at 6-9 mos, 12 mos, 18 mos & even more continuing up thru day care, school, etc. as they increase in awareness of all that is going on in the big world around them. Newborns have little focus. As their world "expands", so do their fears.

Ours also wanted me & only me, and DH's feelings were hurt as he thought our little one didn't like him, (So sad, Daddy loves him so much) but it did pass, and he also started running to the door to meet DH at about 20 months, and now at 2 y/o says, "Yay, Daddy!" while clapping like the biggest movie star hero just arrived! So it will pass, console your husband that is a phase & to try not to let it hurt his feelings. Many a dad has gone thru this before him, LOL!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:14 PM on Aug. 21, 2009