Dentist.... =(

My little man has horrible tooth decay. I really don't know how it happend, he rarely has sugar, we brush his teeth 3 times a day and whenever he has sugar. Anyway, he is going to the dentist in 10 days to have 4 cavities filled, and 4 teeth replaced. They are going to drug him up and swaddle him. I'm freaking out! Has anyone else had this happen to your child? How did he/she react? I don't know which drugs they are giving him. Also did you go with metal or white fillings? I really don't like the thought of exposed metal in my son's mouth. Any advice would be great.

NoahsMomma418

Asked by NoahsMomma418 at 3:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• One of my friends had the same think with there 6yr old dauther they had to put her out and replaced them with medal, and my got metal too. They are both fine, no issues with it, and you can always ask them what med they are giving her.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 3:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Some kids just have bad teeth. It's not fair, it's not right, but it happens.

I would be finding out what medications they're giving him before I let them touch him though if I were you. I would ask the dentist about the difference in the fillings (and which will your insurance cover?)

These are questions you need to ask the pediatric dentist!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Go with white fillings. They may not be as strong but they look a heck of a lot better than metal. Plus, the teeth are falling out in a few years anyways.
    BabyBoyBlue

Answer by BabyBoyBlue at 3:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• With my son we went with metal caps and he called them his bling bling teeth...lol. He had a very rough time waking up... just be prepared with a blankie and paci.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 3:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My advice may not be popular here - but I can only speak from my own experience: DONT DO IT!

Find a dentist - pediatric or family - that uses waterlase technology. There is no anesthesia, no drills, no pain. Even if it's down to just a hair from the root - this can be used.

My middle son's first dentist did the restraint thing -- he came home with bruises. And that was just for a cleaning. The 2nd dentist HAD to use an IV sedative to work on him - not because it would be too painful - but because he was so traumatized from the 1st experience he was terrified to the point of vomiting.

It cost us a fortune, he did NOT react well to the anesthesia, they shoved us out the door before he was even fully away, AND one of his caps fell off within wks.

We ALL now see a family dentist who uses Waterlase technology. He is AWESOME & there is absolutely NO pain. You can go out to eat on your way home.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Laura1229, oh goodness, how awful!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My son at age 5 has his first fillings and he had the sedation. Its actually a very pleasant experience and they just sleep as the work gets done and wake up all tired. My son is 6 now and says that medicine tasted bad then daddy read him a story and he went to sleep...LOL If he had no sedation believe me he would be petrified of the dentist so this is away to keep the experience pleasant! Some kids do just have bad teeth. My son already needs more fillings! UGH Its been a year! His sister has NEVER had a cavity and she is just 16mos younger and they eat and drink the sameas well as brush their teeth.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:42 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'm a dental hygienist and have seen this all too often. Using sedatives and swaddling is common practice. Small children are frightened and will not sit still and cooperate, these methods are used for the safety of the child and the Dr. Please be sure to ask your Dr about the choice of sedative be administered.

Children have very small teeth, and when there is a cavity, this leaves very little tooth structure to work with to repair the tooth. Caps are used to completely cover the tooth to allow for structural strength. The use of white composite or regular fillings is not preferred, because the teeth are so little and are susceptible to fractures, due to the forces of chewing.

The teeth that need to be replaced, these spaces will be filled with spacers. These spacers are necessary to maintain space for the adult teeth to erupt properly.

Running out of room, I'll continue......
    doublefistin

Answer by doublefistin at 7:03 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• You mentioned that your little guy gets little sugar, and you are brushing regularly. I'm gonna throw a couple things out there....perhaps it will help:)

Sugar comes in many forms, the number one contributor to baby tooth decay is sugar in a liquid form, milk, juice, soda, especially, if being delivered in a sippy cup, throughout day. This is how it works. Anytime a sugar is introduced to the mouth, the bacteria on the teeth ingest this sugar and produce acid that eat away at the teeth, and this attack lasts for 20 minutes. So, if your toddler is munching or sipping all day the Ph of the mouth remains acidic and produced decay.

Is brushing being performed by a parent or the child? Parent should be brushing teeth till age 5, a minimum of 2minutes. Children don't have the hand dexterity or the care to do a good job.

Also, are you on city or well water? Lack of flouride could be a possibility. Good luck
    doublefistin

Answer by doublefistin at 7:32 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• Thanks doublefistin!!
    We drink city water and we brush his teeth ( or else he will just suck the toothpaste off and call it good). I don't know what drug the will give him I called and they just told me Analgesia ( which I googled and it's just a pain killer?) How do kids normally react to this? i would rather they knock him out but we can't afford that.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 26, 2009