music star M.I.A and her husband because they recently named their son "Ickhyd." Given these findings, we're afraid this child may qualify as a threat against humanity.

Having an offbeat name increases a boy's tendency towards juvenile delinquency.
Researchers tracked the behavior of 15,000 boys born between 1987 and 1991 and found that those who had been given staid old biblical names like Michael and David were less likely to get into trouble than those given less popular, girly or strange first names.While Garland, Tyrell, Alec (think "smart"), Ernest and Malcolm made the list as names linked to serious behavior problems, the research suggests it's not the name itself, but rather the "social factors of being tagged with an offbeat moniker" which lead to this increase in crime.

jaidah917

Asked by jaidah917 at 3:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Entertainment

• What will they think of next? Geez.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The title of your post confuses me...is there something missing or am I having a brain fart?
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 3:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• OIC...second half was their quote
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 3:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My son's name is "Cash", I hope that means he will be rich some day!
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 4:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• music star M.I.A and her husband because they recently named their son "Ickhyd."

This is the sentance that confuses me. JMO but this name sounds like it has some sort of cultural meaning or like it is a name of another language, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the name. Now when people start making names up, that is when it gets ridiculous.

And I think those studies are crap. What about the serial killers named Jeffrey (Dahmer), David (Berkowitz) or John (Wayne Gacy)? They all had "normal" names and even a "biblical" one and look how they turned out!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Names don't matter, if a kid is going to be a trouble maker, it is for more reasons than his name. The killers that I have learned about all have normal names, Jeffrey Dahmer, John Gacy, Mark Jensen (local guy who killed his wife).

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Maybe it could be that the kids with the most "out there" names were from low income areas where they name their kids crazy things. Like "the ghetto"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

So because a child is low income or has an out there name they automatically will grow up to be criminals? And we wonder where stereotypes come from. A child's name or their families social class has nothing to do with how they will turn out. Its how there parents choose to raise them, or the lack of parenting in raising them. Yes many lower class individuals do not make good parents, but just because a child is born into the lower economic class or has an "out there" name doesn't mean they're doomed to crime.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 8:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2009