My husband?

My husband hit me for the first time in our marriage of 6 years? What do I do? I am so confused?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• I'm so sorry this happened.....I'm not sure what to do cause I've never been in your situation and I hope I never will. I will be praying for you! Stay strong! Don't let ANYBODY break you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Does he feel any remorse? I would leave for a LONG time, possibly permanently. These things can be fixed. But it's rare. You will hold resentment towards him.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• cut off his balls maybe?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• first hit. has he been verbally abusive before
    my guess is yes

nothing to be confused about, HE HIT YOU
    that is clear
    you are not confused...you are shocked maybe, but you know what he did and you know it is clearly wrong=no exceptions or exuses
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 3:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• 1st time it's his fault. 2nd time (and there usually is) it's your fault for staying. I would have punched him back and left, for good.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 3:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I'm afraid that I agree with Samurai-Chica that maybe you should leave. I am sorry to say this. At the very least he needs to see a mental-health specialist. He should get a medical evaluation, and his doctor should direct him to someone who can insure that he understands what he has done and will help him prevent it again. (I am not in the medical field and also have no experience of this, these are my thoughts based on what I have read.) Can you call your religious adviser and ask him or her? Instead of your leaving, perhaps he is the one who should leave. You don't want to be accused of abandonment. I am so sorry.

Answer by Bmat at 3:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My Dad hit my mom out of the blue 10 years ago. They were at a very very bad place in their marriage. That was the first time and the last time. Its horrible that he did it, but they worked through it. It sounds like your husband lost his damn mind for a minute, but probably not abusive. I am sorry. You two have some fixing to do.
    2princesnaKing

Answer by 2princesnaKing at 3:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You sound exactly like me from my first marriage. My 1st husband and I were married for 6 years. He was verbally abusive to me continuously for all 6 years. He liked to control me and anyone I cared about. Then when I finally stood up for myself and wouldnt stop trying to communicate with him after he had been ignoring me for days....He hit me. Right in front of our 3 year old son. Well needless to say....We left for good! I lived out of state at the time. I called my parents and while he was at work they came and got the kids and I. I filed for divorce as soon as I got back to my home state! Ive never regretted it a day since, and Im a much happier person and better mother for our children because of it! I hope you make the right choice, especially if not for yourself....for your children if you have any. Best Wishes
    anonymous101

Answer by anonymous101 at 4:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• He needs to go and he needs some major counseling to get you back if ever...I am so sorry. He will do it again. My FIL used to beat my MIL and was arrested 5 times for battery.... she never left him which was STUPID. My DH remembers all of that and it is very traumatic to have kids in that situation...I'm assuming you have children? Put your foot down, ask him to leave, and make sure he knows this behavior is unacceptable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• my husband hit me for the first time a few weeks ago and it shocked the hell out of both of us we are going through money problems etc and while that is not an excuse I can see how it can happen.
    we talked about it and I know he felt horrible about it since he was almost in tears after it happened and he knows how hurt i was and mad at him i was.
    we talked about it afterwards and it is better I told him I will not forget he did that and he did promise me that it would never happen again.
    i cannot make your decision for you but I can say I have been there and i know what I decided was for the best of my marriage not everyone will agree but if it is what you choose then that is your decision., as long as there is no repeat and he truly feels remorse then maybe just maybe he let his temper react before his brains did
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2009