Botanists Discover Rat-Eating Plant.......

A team of botanists on an expedition in the Philippines has discovered a carnivorous plant that is so large, it can devour large insects and rats whole.
The pitcher plant, believed to be the biggest meat-eating shrub in existence, was found high atop Mount Victoria by two experts, Alastair Robinson and Stewart McPherson. They were inspired to look for it after hearing tales of the monstrous plant from two Christian missionaries who climbed the mountain in 2000.

jaidah917

Asked by jaidah917 at 3:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "The plant produces spectacular traps which catch not only insects, but also rodents," McPherson said. "It is remarkable that it remained undiscovered until the 21st century."

Rats and other animals that fall into the plant's trap are slowly dissolved by acidic enzymes inside the pitcher and converted into energy.

As cool as this plant sounds, we can't help but fear it's only a matter of time before it develops a taste for human flesh.

jaidah917

Answer by jaidah917 at 3:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• PItcher Plants? This isn't new. I saw a show on carnivorous plants, which included the Pitcher Plant on the Discovery Channel a while ago!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think these types of things are quite interesting.. thanks for sharing. :)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 3:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My mom has a Venus Fly Trap when we were kids - it was fascinating to watch. I think the concept is gross to say the least - but hey we all gotta eat - just don't go around during my waking hours thinking about a plant that could eat my Chihuahua - thank goodness it isn't a houseplant huh?
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I need a few dozen of these plants around work.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009