Fetal Movement: When should I worry about lapse of movement?

I'm due in Nov 09 and I am 27 weeks. My daughter moves around quite a bit but there are times in a 24 hr cycle that she is pretty still so should i be worried or is this her "resting time"?

Wintersmom09

Asked by Wintersmom09 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I can't answer this for sure but I know my daughter does the exact same thing and I am 28 weeks. Doctor's recommend starting kick counts after 30 weeks.
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 4:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I'm also 28 weeks, as long as she moves you're fine. babies do sleep in there.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• 10 times in 24 hours is what I've been told. But it's not like you can be still for 24 hours to count! Lol.

If you're ultra concerned they can do another u/s on you or you could go in for a heartbeat check, but chances are you just haven't noticed as much lately.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 4:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Thank you all! She does do a lot of moving so I'm not very concerned but I keep reading things that say if your baby is still for a period of time etc... and I'm like "How long of a period of time people!" lol So 10 times is the key number? I think I'll start counting now
    Wintersmom09

Answer by Wintersmom09 at 4:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• the handout from my doctor says ten movements in two hours.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Click here for some instructions on how to do kick counts....and like the above poster said, everything I see says that a baby should move at least 10 times in a 2 hour period.

Stormywaters03

Answer by Stormywaters03 at 4:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• my last pregnancy i did kick counts at 28 weeks and from then on. so when i hit 31 weeks and did not feel more then two movements in a 24 hour period i knew something was wrong. i went in at noon and by 8:00 pm i had a son. they told me that it was a good thing that i followed my instincts and went in because if i had not my son would have died by midnight that night.
    he had a sepsis infection and that could have killed him!! so it is better to be safe then sorry i always say. even if you feel dumb about going in and every thing being ok it is better to know that every thing is ok then to wait it out and something does go wrong!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Wow mrssundin! I am so happy to hear that everything turned out well, thats a blessing! I'll start counting now ladies!
    Wintersmom09

Answer by Wintersmom09 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i've always heard ten times in every two hours. however i have had three babies and know they all didn't move that often. if you are generally worried, i would call your ob and just schedule an appt for your own peace of mind. you don't want to be too stressed out, not good for the baby.

jennalms

Answer by jennalms at 5:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2009