If you adopt from the foster care system...

Are you always just the foster parent first and then you get to legally adopt? How does that work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Adoption

• My sister did this and yes she was the foster parent for about 2 years before the state would consider adoption.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 4:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I don't know how it works there, but my sister and bil are adopting through CFS (Child and Family Services) here and it will be a regular private adoption like through any adoption agency. Now I don't know if there are birth moms who are choosing to adopt out their baby or moms who've been determined to be unfit and have their children removed. But either way, they don't have to be foster parents first.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It may vary state to state, so it may be best to check with the foster care program in your area. If you can tell us what state you are in, I can get you a link, or you can just call someone locally. In Texas, even if you "straight adopt" and you can, you still have to go thru the training. But you can request to take "legal risk" infants, which means that the parents have had their rights terminated on previous children, and they have had another child and the state automatically takes them, and that chances are that they STILL aren't going to do what it takes to get ANOTHER child back in their care. It means that MOST LIKELY the child will be available for adoption, but there are no guarantees. Also, you can choose a child who is already available for adoption and is looking for a "Forever Family".
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yes, I"m interested in the 'forever family' children. No babies. I'm in AZ.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• There are children that are available for adoption. You do not have to foster first. However, they may try to push you into fostering because there is a shortage of foster families.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• https://egov.azdes.gov/CMSInternet/main.aspx?menu=46&id=2338

This is the DCYF website for AZ. You can start researching here. Good luck!

doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:16 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• You can do straight foster adopt of a legally free child. These children are often older or with special needs, but parental rights have already been terminated.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I'm in CA, we fostered only before we adopted through an agency. We then changed to adoptions only. Our second was about to have parental rights terminated with no visits from any bio parents for months. It was just a matter of paperwork according the SW, but felt much better once TPR happened several weeks later. We are still pending adoptions on our second, doing our bonding time.
    jothra

Answer by jothra at 1:57 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• In Florida you don't have to be a foster parent first to adopt a foster child. My dh and I adopted out girls from foster care and we weren't foster parents first. Their parental rights were already terminated though.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 22, 2009