SAHMs: What is your household income? Where do you live? HOW do you live?

Just want to get a sense of how much other people are getting by on. It varies depending on WHERE you live of course, and how comfortable you are also depends.

Example: $65k, Long Island -New York, barely getting by

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• ha really?

18k a year
    washington state
    great
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• 30k Lake charles, la, getting by just fine if we couldnt i would have to go back to work. My SO is a waiter.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 4:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• SAHM of 4
    $60-75/yr depending on OT
    Texas - close to Houston
    Good
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• BTW our reat is 750 a month for a 2 bedroom townhouse in the good part of town, but you know louisiana is really cheap place to live.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 4:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Sorry for posting anon. I don't tell people where I live! We are in Indiana. Hubby has a base salary of $21,000. He is in sales and bonuses can be $1,500 a month though he has only getting about $1,000 quarterly in this economy. Last year he made about $35,000 and my guess is this year it will be $28,000. Things are VERY tight right now. (We have 3 kids and one on the way)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• SAHM of 2.... but on disability and make the equivalent of $10.21 an hour. DH's $$$ varies wildy. Last year our combined income was close to $70,000. This year I highly doubt we'll clear 1/2 that. Years before was like $30,000 & 25,000 but the year our son was born (2004) when I was still working and then also with my 1st lump sum disability payment we were very close to 6 figures.

We live "OK" but my medical debt is far greater than we'd ever be able to pay off. We'll undoubtadley have our 2nd bankruptcy eventually. In 2004 my medical bills were a million and we were expected to pay 20% of that... and I've had around 10 surgeries since then. So... yeah. We're living well but the debt is enormous. NO credit cards, though... well, no debt. We have 1 card for emergencies and car rentals and stuff.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• oh, and we live in a VERY VERY small town in northern minnesota. moved here this Summer from Minneapolis/St Paul for a better cost of living, to build a savings.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• 18k and doing great? Please explain to me how this is possible and clarify what 'great' means... how much is your mortgage, etc.?

While I am not a SAHM, we make almost $100k and can barely get by... we don't eat out, we don't vacation, I only buy clothes for the kids, we rarely buy red meat at the stores, etc... wtf?? Our mortgage on a very modest home is $2100, plus DH has child support $600, daycare for our kids part time is $850.... then we have car payments on our 2003 and 2005 cars (Ford Fokus and Escape, nothing fancy).... and don't forget food, electric, car insurance...etc. etc. etc... how on EARTH do you do that on 18k per year? Shoot, tell me how you do that on $50k per year???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• SAHM of 1 depending on OT $50K-60K, I live in UT, we are getting by ok.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My rent in Mpls was almost $1000. Now I have a 4 story home for $525 a month in a nice suburban safe area on a quiet street. location location location. Moving hurt us, though. the truck and expenses. And with being "poor" and having bad credit we had deposits for all our services being turned on.... and now everything is in disconnect threat. I pay things often the day before they're due to be canceled/shut off and we only have 1 vehicle but since our credit is lousy and we had virtually NO down payment it's $515 a month
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2009