What is the best way to discipline my 3yr old grandson? He is becomming more defiant and biting, pinching etc.

disciplining a 3 yr old with Down Syndrome

sjf513

Asked by sjf513 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• The naughty spot or chair or step or what ever. Whenever he does something he knows if wrong, (you might want to tell him 1 to ensure this) put him on the naughty spot for a time out. He is 3 so for three min. He has to sit and be quiet for three min. in the same spot you put him. Then when he is done ask him why he was sent to Time out. He may not know how to answer right away walk him through what he did and why it was wrong. THen he says he is sorry and you two hug. Then it is over.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I guess I am old school. Pinch and bite him back to show him how it feels. I used it as a last resort for my son and it did the trick first time. Not enough to bruise him or draw blood, like he did on me, but enough to let him know how it feels. As for the defiance, you have to make sure the consequences are something he ABSOLUTELY does not want to have a second time. I spank my son when he gets defiant with me, he doesn't get spanked often, but he is MUCH better than he used to be about it. It's not often he does it to me anymore, because he doesn't want a swat or three on the butt. The consequences MUST be a deterrent. At least that is how it was with my son. But every child is different. Some you can use the time out on and it will work, other needs to have their seats reddened a few times to get it.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 8:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• READ THE QUESTION PEOPLE. THE CHILD HAS DOWN'S SYNDROME. His numerical age isn't so important. You need to find out what his mental age is, and work from there. He might still be on the redirect stage. I don't know. Getting general advice on cafemom for how to discipline a child with down's syndrome is a BAD idea. At least find a group with people who have a clue about this issue. I sure as heck don't know. I don't have a child with down's syndrome, nor would I pretend I know.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:35 AM on Aug. 22, 2009