why do so many women??

why do so many women want to have their babies before their due dates?

if it is medically needed that is one thing but i see a lot of people asking how to induce labor while they are at home.
Do a lot of women not know what happens to a baby that comes early, what medical problems and developmental problems that you are setting your child up for? i just dont understand it!!

mrssundin

Asked by mrssundin at 4:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Because doctors don't know what informed consent is. They don't tell people all of the risks associated with it, or that due dates can be off up to two weeks either direction. It's my understanding that most doctors will not induce before 39 weeks unless there's a medical necessity, but I don't understand inducing without one at all. I was induced with my twins(wish I had never agreed to it) because of acute ttts. I was already contracting on my own and dialated 1 cm, probably wouldn't have been more than a week. I had them at 37 weeks via c-section because the induction stalled(epidural+swelling of the cervix) and my doctor was in a big fat rush. One of my girls was just perfect and roomed with me, she was 5 lbs 13 oz. My other baby wasn't, she had trouble with body temp,blood sugars,jaundice,and with suck/swallow/breath. I hated seeing her hooked up to all those machines,with an IV,in an incubator,her spending 3 weeks there.
    Daynaof3

Answer by Daynaof3 at 11:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• the reason that i asked this question is because as a mother of two preemies i understand the cost it takes on the child not to mention your marriage and your self as a parent. why would you want to not give your baby the best start ever!!
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It is selfish yes but it is their choice.
    I personally wouldnt try to make my baby come I dont want to risk it.
    Also alot of people do those old wives tales and dont know what it really is doing to them or the baby .
    Oh and pinnapple doesnt induce LOL I see that one alot . I ate pinnapple my WHOLE pregnancy I love it LOL .
    I dont understand it either tho how they are that impatient . If you cant wait for a healthy baby then why get pregnant .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I agree
    with your second statment as well LOL
    I was induced medically because my son had problems coming out and he was 8 lbs 14 oz so my dr wanted to avoid those problems again and I was induced at 39 weeks .
    If my daughter would had gone the 40 weeks or the 41 like my son she would had been so much bigger then him . But she still has a problem even tho she was 39 weeks .
    We did it tho so she wouldnt havee the problems her older brother had.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 4:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My babies were 15 and 13 days early and were PERFECT! Sometimes the baby is just ready to come out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• In my case if i hadnt taken primerose oil i probably would have never had her... i started inserting it at 40 weeks 3 days and taking it orally. They thought because at the time I was 16 I didnt have a clue it was time for her to come. Needless to say she was born over cooked as the rude nurse called it and almost died! In most womens cases it is because they are selfish and dont wanna be pregnant anymore
    jaiwheeler

Answer by jaiwheeler at 5:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• They are not educated about the risks of prematurity. Why aren't they? Because their doctors don't tell them, and act like anything after 38 weeks is perfect. And we wonder why the prematurity rate is rising...

The average woman gives birth to her first baby at 41 weeks. But we treat women like they are going to have a dead baby starting before 40 weeks. It bothers me. It's an ESTIMATED due date, not an expiration date.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 5:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I've never heard anyone on here wanting to induce before about 37 weeks, and I don't consider a baby born 3 weeks early to be a preemie. I'm not saying they should try to induce themselves or force the baby out, but I certainly understand why they would want to. I was desperate for my babies to be born by the time I was 37 weeks. My first came at 38 weeks, he was 7 1/2 lbs and 21 inches. Not premature AT ALL. My second was overdue and I was so depressed by then I didn't want to see anyone, I didn't want anyone commenting about it or anything. I know it seems silly now, but at the time each day seemed like forever.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Again, I know it's silly. But for me personally, part of the problem is the adorable tiny little preemie clothes at the store. When I know my babies will never fit them, and when my babies either never fit newborn clothes, or grow out of them in a week, I feel like I'm missing out on something, like there is a part of their life that is gone and I can never experience. LIke I said, I know it's silly. I don't want them to be unhealthy, I just want them to be small for a little while. But of course I would never do anything to force it.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• With the profession my husband is in (pro athlete), it might be necessary for me to induce, but we are going to wait until the EDD to make that decision. He cannot take paternal leave and is gone quite often during this time of the year. I would just hate it if he were away at a game and couldn't see the birth of his child, BUT like I said before- we are a dif situation and are going to TRY and wait till at least the due date or a few days later...
    tinalloyd

Answer by tinalloyd at 5:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009