How do you break a baby from wanting to be held 24/7

I hold her till she falls asleep, and when I put her down. She screams.
I cant leave her in her chair for more than 5 minutes to get some cleaning/cooking done. I can't do anything.

[ Shes been this way since the mother baby unit. Shes now 2 & 1/2 months ]

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she's itty itty bitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get a sling!

Or a swing and baby einstien... but go with a SLING!
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 4:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Welll...you *can't.* This is how they're programmed and she WILL outgrow it. She'll outgrow it faster ifd you go with it and build her confidence that you will be there when she really needs you.

For now...do you have a sling or carrier? It will let you do most things. And feel free to let a few things go. She's your "get out of housework" pass. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 4:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I agree with the pp she is still really little and has been used to being carried around by you for the last 9 months you were pregnant. She is comforted by your movements. I agree get a carrier to have your hands free.

abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 5:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Do you have a bouncy seat? my LO loved to sleep in hers on vibrate til she was about 4 months and she also liked sleeping in an infant swing that played lullaby music while swinging. goodluck
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• does she like to be swaddled in a blanket?
    vibrating sling back chair thing
    soon big enough for swing ... aaah the SWING!

(dad and I could NOT wait for ours to be big enough for the swing, we loved the swing and still have very fond memories of the swing and that was over a year ago that she out grew.)=just thinking of how the swing changed our lives has brought tears to my eyes, our baby was colicky and the swing, well I can not stop praising it...lol...as you can tell
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I never WANTED to put ours down, LOL! But had to eventually. (Boo hoo!) I wish I had had a sling, and would have worn her. Ours liked the bouncer. (Didn't like the swing. Most do, don't know why she didn't.) The bouncer gave her the feeling of being held snugly, also even sitting her in her car seat worked. Also, it may help to prop her up a little, especially after being fed, so she doesn't get reflux. The bouncer/car seat helped with that, too. She was a gassy little one. Laying flat was something she rarely did.

Try the swaddling or when you lay her in boucer/car seat, put a light blanket on her and tuck it in around her. Housework never goes away, but babies grow up.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 5:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Mine was like that from birth to about 2.5 mos. Seriously, I couldn't put her down for 1 second without her flipping out. Even the first night at the hospital, she cried non-stop until I figured out she just wanted to be with me.I had to wear her in a sling and be walking, because she hated to be still. It was so awful. But she outgrew it. Now she's 5.5 mos. and can lay by herself or play for a while. It goes away. I think some babies are just like that in the beginning and others aren't. My sister just had a baby and he could care less where he is. Mine was never like that.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Funnily enough, the swing never worked for us. She hated it.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 6:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Mine is the same way at 2 months. He tolerates his bouncer/vibrating chair, hates laying down when awake, and absolutely, without a doubt hated the sling! I've got a front pack thing that he'll deal with but I find it difficult to do my housework with it on. I battle everyday with myself on whether to nap when he naps (which doesn't happen often) or to do housework while he sleeps. When he's up he likes to sit up ramrod straight; no reclining, or else he'll be pretty upset. I get a swing tomorrow so I CAN'T WAIT to see if he likes it!

Mine little man will also screech and scream when he's exhausted and doesn't want to be put down or held. I let him cry for about 5 minutes without holding him to wear himself out. Then I just bounce him in my arms or rock in the chair. Usually works. Or a bath!! Good luck!
    OhBaby1467

Answer by OhBaby1467 at 6:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• look put her in her play yard and put some cartoons on the t.v. or music and leav her in her room for a little after a couple of times alon she'll get the hang of it
    rellzmomma

Answer by rellzmomma at 9:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2009