Do you find it annoying (or even rude) when people return asking "Why"?

I know a few people that always ask "why" to general questions, like "How are you doing?"

The answer I get is, "Fine, why do you ask?"

It gets to the point where it cuts off small talk. I'm just tired of trying to start small talk when the other person is always asking "why" to any general question.

Do you find it annoying (or even rude) when people return asking "why" to general small talk questions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope. Not at all for me.
    Michele068

Answer by Michele068 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Haven't had anyone say that to me, so I'm not sure what I'd say.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 5:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i don't know if I find it annoying
    .....why do you ask?
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I do know a mom like that lol, her motivation is usually because she is nosey lol. Many of the other moms who know her have the same experience with her. None of us can really figure out why she does it except that she was never taught how to start conversations. When it happens I just respond with " you look like you have had a long day" or " just being friendly"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I just hate rude people.and my sister in law is one of them. she ask why for every thing.
    Anonymous

• Why do you ask?

Ehehehehe =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• you WERE just asking for those
    "why do you ask" answers

lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If I asked someone how they were and they responded with "why?" . .. I think I would say "What do you mean?"

If I was just being friendly and that's how they responded, then yes, I would think it was rude. I wouldn't bother with that person again.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• no.beccause I'm often misunderstood and if you don't ask me then you will never understand.
    mohterofnations

Answer by mohterofnations at 6:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Lots of people use it because they think you are being nosey rather just just being friendly. I read in a book when someone asks you a question you consider to be too personal, you should answer with "why". I tend to take people at the good, so I don't respond like that when I know someone is just trying to be nice. Its a new twist on people being offended when you say "have a nice day" because they think you are telling them what to do. UGH!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 6:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009