What kind of leash do you use for over 100 pound dog?

I have a Rottwiler, I think he is going to be 130 lb soon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had a 150 pound St. Bernard, and we just used a strong good leather type leash, or one of those chain types, not the ones with spike things though.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 5:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• NOT a choke chain. when I had my rottie i had a thick nylon leash like a normal one. and i had the normal collars too with a buckle. but then i bought this collar that went over their nose, it was a gentle lead one. not a muzzle. and if they started to go ahead of you it would slightly pull their nose down towards you, it makes them slow and stay closer. that is good for walking. just went over the bridge of the nose.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 5:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i was gonna say too like the pp said that a good leather one works too, but our dogs always chewed though those. we had two labs and a rottie that thought he was a lab.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 5:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• They make retractable leashes for very large dogs also.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I answered on your other post as well....but I have three rotties. We use a harness for all them, added to a braided leash from walmart. You can get them there for around 10 bucks. I have a male that is almost 2 he weighs 125. My female is 4 and weighs 135. We kept one of their puppies, he is now 5 months old and weighs 83 pounds.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 5:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Sheesh an 83lb 5 month old puppy! He's going to be a monster!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• BridgetC140....I thought the same thing. We got his daddy at 7 weeks old (he is my almost 2 year old)...at 5 months he was around 55 pounds. I cannot imagine how big this one is gonna be. Everybody tells me that I have his age wrong....Well we have both mommy and daddy and the puppies were born on my porch. They were born on March 20.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 5:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I find it funny that my sister just asked me the same question today. I would use a braided nylon. They're my favorite type of lease though.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 5:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009