Just wondering about formula feeding?

Now this is not to bash about formula feeding moms out there I am just curious. What made you choose to formula feed or did you have no choice. I respect formula feeding moms it is not my choice but at least if you are feeding your child that is what counts!

crazypinkzebra

Asked by crazypinkzebra at 5:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Parenting

• I chose formula feeding because my dd was too stubborn to stay latched on. I didn't want to stress about it so I switched to formula. It was really nice because my dh and I took turns getting up at night so I actually got good sleep from the first week.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i just answered this in another question :P my baby was starving, i couldn't produce. at her 2 week check up the doc recommended giving her formula after bf, to see how much breastmilk she was getting. she wasn't getting anything. pumping never produced any real results, i was just dry and she was so hungry after trying in vain to nurse. those first two weeks were so painful, to just hold her and know that she was starving, and crying herself to sleep hungry.

mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 5:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• When the breasts dried up...that was it. I supplemented from the beginning too with formula because my breasts weren't as nuritious as they should be....per pediatricians orders. My mom had same issues with my brother and I. Expecting again in a couple months and am at least going to give it a go with breast feeding again.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• "at least if you are feeding your child that is what counts"

And that IS the bottom line! Reasons aren't important. Do what you and the woman in your mirror can agree on.

I'm just afraid that the can of worms has been opened yet again here!

Answer by gdiamante at 5:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• btw....as my mom pointed out to me.....when I cried and cried over how much less of a woman I felt....that was what Wet Nurses were for a hundred+ years ago. and think of all the babies who died in the colonial days and such when there was no one else around to nurse them. or those traveling to new lives with no cows and goats to provide babies with milk. terrible, but happened. my mom is one smart lady
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• w/my first i hadn't decided yet what i wanted to do, went in for a reg checkup and was told i had to have my baby then. so under all the loopy drugs i had (after labor 2 1/2 days then a spinal tap i was done) i said just give her a bottle when they asked and didn't realize that i could have still tried to bf if i had wanted, until about 2 weeks later and then it was too late. with my son, he wouldn't latch on at or if he did he'd fall asleep. after about 3 days they said ok he has to have a bottle b/c he's losing too much weight and not eating, so i tried pumping and got nothing not even drops, which i didn't get b/c i would leak when i was engorged but...ya after trying for 2 weeks and getting no results pumping or him on the breast i gave up too stressful
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 5:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I never planned on becoming a mother, ever. So my breasts were strictly a sexual accessory so I felt very uncomfortable even thinking about it, so I formula fed.
    LuvMyBoyzz

Answer by LuvMyBoyzz at 5:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• im about to have my first child and want to breast feed because i know that it is better for him, but its hard to see my breast as something thats not used sexually. my mom felt the same way, i was never given breast milk as an infant, i turned out fine.
    JuwansMommy

Answer by JuwansMommy at 10:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2009