What kind of leash do you use for over 100 pound dog?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pets

• A really good one? LOL j/k I like the harness ones
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have three rottweilers and we have a harness for all three of them plus a braided leash. You can get them at Walmart for around 10 bucks.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 5:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Our Wolfhound was about 180 and we used what ever we wanted. We had a short (2 ft) with a nice handle that made other people more comfortable to be around him. When we were out for fun we had a 25ft retractable. The trick was we started leash training on him at 12 weeks, I think we could have walked him with string, it wasn't the leash that controlled him it was his training. Usually he just wore his woven collar but we did have a harness that he used toward the end cause we had to be able to catch him when he fell.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 7:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I'm the primary babysitter for my college son's mastiff who's over 160 pounds. Their body frames are very very fragile bone wise. We use a nice soft padded neck collar with a leash attached to it about 6 inches from the hook and total it's about a five foot long leash in all.

he's just two still very much a puppy even though he's two years old not two months old. We're retraining him to leashwalk without dragging us.

When he pulls past arms length we stop say NO dogs'name and wait until he quiets down before walking more.

This has made a huge difference in his behavior.

op what kind of dog do you have?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• any leash should do as long as the big guy is trained. If he is ill mannered and still learning then I would say a correction collar (with training by a trainer) and a leather leash. If he is already a trained dog then anything that looks good!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I also have Mastiffs...2. My oldest dog has been trained very well on a leash I could walk her with a string also and she'd be fine. My puppy...he's 60lbs already and he's got a little bit of lab in him so he's craaaaazy! I have trouble training him to walk on his leash.

I don't think it's the leash I think it's the training
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 7:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• A standard, 6-foot leash, and take your dog to an obedience so they learn to heel. Ever since obedience class, my dog has never pulled on the leash.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 2:04 PM on Aug. 22, 2009