How often does a 41/2 mo old need to nurse?

Just wondering how many hours between feedings on average for a near 5 mo old baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• generally, every 2-4 hours; mine nursed every2 1/2 hours. I would only worry if the wet diapers start dropping; you want 6-8 per day. Check out the breastfeeding moms group for tons of info & help.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 5:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• As often as she feels necessary. This varies by baby and circumstances like whether or not she's going through a growth spurt. You'll know she's getting enough because she'll be happy and have healthy wet and poopy diapers.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 5:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It will vary by baby. Some still need to nurse every two hours. Some are happy to go every four.

"On demand" remains the nursing schedule all the way to weaning.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I agree with "on demand" nursing. It does vary from baby to baby. My first was happy with every 3hrs by that age, but my 3rd baby still wanted to nurse every 11/2 to 2hrs. at 5months. They usually let you know when the are hungry.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2009