What's the biggest misconception that people have about Autism?

I guess that this question goes to people like me that unfortunately doesn't know much about the condition but very discussed these days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with LoriKeet except the immunizations part- I can not be sure of it either way, but I know many parents of children with Autism believe it.

I think the BIGGEST misconception is that people have no idea how large (or encompassing) the Autism Spectrum is. There are many children that just 10 years ago we would call "difficult" (which implies willful conduct or misconduct) we now believe to be on the spectrum. They are not odd, they just have a specific need and it is not a personality trait- it is a real disorder.
    Being in education, we find Autism so difficult because it manifests itself differently in different children.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 7:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That immunizations cause it.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• that one size fits all
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 5:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have one...Bill Gates have Autism. I don't know you but he is capable of so much. I thought that Autism was a disorder that affected communication and interaction.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That these children are any different then "normal" children. I don't have a child with autism but I have seen and heard of ignorant people that think any child that is not normal by societies standards are treated differently.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 5:38 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That immunizations cause it.

popcorn

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Whether or not it is genetic.
    Anonymous

• That there are absolutes. There is not one aspect of it that you can definitively say: All autistics are (not) __________
    There is not a thing on earth you can write in that blank and make a true statement.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• oh wow i could give you a list! That immunizations is the cause (when in the bigger picture the rate is only higher now because we have more information), that there is a cure (there is no cure if you think there is you are having delusions), that children with Autism are retarded or mentally ill (nope they are very sane they just communicate on a higher level than the common folk), that children with autism cant learn coping skills and and modified behavior (this is not the same as a cure its like learning to walk after losing a leg, you learn to compensate). As the parent of a high functioning autistic child you would not believe the things i have heard and been told by completely uninformed people who have no willingness to do a little reading outside of the media hype.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 5:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• That immunizations cause it
    That people with Autism are Mentally Retarded
    That people with Autism are just like Dustin Hoffman' portrayal of "Rainman"
    That people with Autism are "weird"
    That people with Autism have "odd" parents and "cold" mothers
    That people with Autism are not productive members of society
    That people with Autism can not learn or be "rehabilitated"
    That parents of Autistic children WANT the label and the attention!
    That Autism is "today's" ADHD diagnosis and is being over prescribed
    That Autistic children just need a good smack or more discipline to "snap out of it"

These are just the FEW things I have personally heard in my travels, and BOTH of my children have Autism. Trust me, this neither something I wanted to have to deal with nor enjoy. I would give anything to have their diagnosis removed. But I love my boys more than life itself, and my mission is to prove all of the naysayers wrong! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009