Has anyone had the Essure procedure or a Mirena IUD placed?

My husband and I don't want anymore children and I have discussed options today with my OB/GYN these were two of the options given to me. ( I can't take birth control) Any insight into either of these would be helpful.

Thanks!

ajw1980

Asked by ajw1980 at 6:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Health

• I just had the Essure procedure done today. Like 10 hours ago. Obviously I am up and active. I have cramps but that is to be expected. I had some pain during the procedure but the one pain med didn't work on me for some reason (they really have no clue why). I am loving it. Here in 3 months when I get my confirmation then there is no more guessing. I don't have to worry about an IUD or IUC coming out or dislodging or anything like that. I also don't have to worry about birth control pills failing. Also, I don't have to worry about my tubal ligation reversing. It is basically 100% baby proof (lol, sorry thought that was cute) after you get the confirmation.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:58 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I had the Mirena & I hated it. I had a lot of spotting & bleeding & finally had it removed. Of course, I later ended up having a hysterectomy so maybe it was just me. I think the best thing about the Mirena is that if you do change your mind, it isn't permanent & can be removed.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 6:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I had the mirena and I had it removed about 2 months ago. I got my tubes tied. With the mirena I had spotting, lose my sex drive, a lot of pain when I did have sex, my SO had pain also while having sex, mood swings like there was no tomorrow.

Before you you get the mirena google mirena side efforts trust me you will change your mind. If you do have anymore questions please feel free to email.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Ive had the Mirena for now 3yrs still 2 more years left...its phenomenial! Only painful part was getting it placed..I spotted for a couple of days. Some months i will have a period only for 1-2days max barely bleed where as before I had horrible periods. Still no babies so its DEFINETLY working!
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 6:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I had the Essure procedure done. it was simple, done in the office and I was back work the next day. just have to use back up bc before the 3 month checkup. (I answered a similar question on this a week or so ago with more detail if you can find it)
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009