How can I convince my three year old to give the toilet a try for pooping?

My son will go #1 on the toilet when asked to do so. When I can tell he is about to poop, I try to get him to do it on his potty chair or on the toilet. He tells me no. He does not want to poop their, he wants to poop in his pants. I know this sounds like he gets to do whatever he wants, but I swear he does not. He just refuses to try the toilet but wont tell me why. I dont know if he is scared of it, or what. Any suggestions would be helpful.

bubbasmother

Asked by bubbasmother at 6:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this was the hardest thing with my son! he said he was scared of the potty and would not try to go on it, etc. then finally one weekend when me and dh went on vacation and my parents came to visit and watch him, my mom got him to do it and ever since he has gone in the potty with no accidents or anything. even though it was the same thing we've been telling him the whole time, it's like it finally clicked in his head when she said it. she just told him he is a big boy now and needs to try and she and everyone will be so proud of him and all his friends that are his age and some younger are using the potty already, etc. then he decided he would try and he cried and whined and said no no no the whole time he was on it and she said just relax and read a book and try to go and he finally went! then he was proud of himself and everything and has been going ever since

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 6:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The only thing that worked with my 3 year old was making him undress himself, clean his underwear (dump the stink in the toilet), and dress himself in clean clothes. He HATED that. It sometimes took him 2 hours! He wasn't allowed out of the bathroom until he was in clean clothes. It took a while but he eventually decided it wasn't worth it. He still has a few accidents and he still has to clean it up himself!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My son did the same thing. I had no idea how to approach it so I improvised. When he was "going #1", as you put it, and I could tell he needed to poop, I would not let him get up. He held it and held it and held it wanting to get off the pot and go in his pants. Of course he started crying, but that crying took his focus off of holding his poop. When he couldn't hold it any longer, of course he pooped in the potty. He's been doing it ever since then with no issues. Only after that VERY TRYING incident did someone mention to me that making him clean himself and his clothes to me. I felt dumb for not thinking of it myself, but I was so worn out from cleaning him up and doing laundry and asking him every hour or so if he needed to go potty that I am not sure I would have "heard" it if someone had said it. ( I am a single mom, so I was stretched pretty thin). I would try the bit of making him clean himself up first.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 8:52 PM on Aug. 21, 2009