what to take to the zoo?

Im planning to take my 1 1/2 year old to the zoo by myself and was wondering what or how much of stuff should i take? I was more worried about what he would eat? I dont like to give him junk food! please help?

lovegigi

Asked by lovegigi at 6:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I usually bring lots of drinks, sunblock, snacks (fruits, crackers), a lunch, a hat, and all the other stuff you normally need like diapers and xtra clothes! Have fun :) Oh and I don't know about your zoo but if it has a petting zoo...bring quarters!
    minimommy816

Answer by minimommy816 at 6:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I always bring some small healthy snacks, and water bottles partially frozen to keep them cold. the most important item I bring to the zoo is hand sanitizer and plenty of wipes... they touch so much, and so does every other child and animial!
    bubbasmother

Answer by bubbasmother at 7:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I would eat before you go or after you leave cause its so expensive unless they let you bring food to eat at a picnic area at your zoo. and then just bring goldfish crackers or something he can snack on and bottle water, but most zoos don't let you bring food or anything. bring or wear a hat and wear tennis shoes and sunscreen. then bring a few diapers and wipes and change of clothes or whatever he usually needs and extra money for souvenirs if your gonna get any and definitely your camera and extra batteries

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 7:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. My main concern is what to feed him there. Do you feed him a lunch like maybe those graduate meals you heat up for 30 seconds? The ones in the blue box the gerber meals maybe?
    lovegigi

Answer by lovegigi at 7:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• yes all of those things the other mothers suggested, also we take an umbrella stroller (you might have a bigger one though for your little one) mostly because we use it to carry our stuff. I like to be prepared with everything even a little first aid kit, we also take in a small cooler (lunchbox size) that we can carry sandwiches in, usually we have tuna sandwiches but we keep the bread separate until we are ready to eat so they don't get soggy. Zoos usually let you bring in your own food, there food is expensive. Have fun!
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 7:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Check with the zoo's policies on outside food and drinks. If they allow it then bring some bottled water and snacks. Pack a stroller even if you think he will walk most of the time. Sun block, hat, change of clothes, plenty of diapers (what with the extra fluids from being outside and all), wipes and hand sanitizer for sure! As far as feeding him I would say pack some crackers, lunch meat, cheese and fruit. Those graduates meals are so expensive for what you get and plus there is no guaranteeing you will be able to heat it. Not that it would be harmful at room temp or anything. Plus even if the meal is not totally 'square' Remember that this is a fun outing that doesn't happen everyday and you can make it up at dinner.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Cheerios, apple slices, juice boxes, a change of clothes, baby wipes, diapers, hand sanitizer, and a empty grocery bag for any messy diapers. Their favorite toy, it will probably come in handy. Just snacks should be ok. or make a sandwich and put it in a lil bag for a larger meal
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 7:36 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Our bag for a trip to the zoo: Hand sanitizer, wipes, extra clothes, water bottles, snacks/dry cereal, sandwiches in a small cooler. We bring the bigger stroller with the basket on the back to carry everything.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 8:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The partially frozen water is a great idea they are all great thanks again ladies! Ill def be prepared now. I was wondering though what do u make the tuna with? So the kids will eat it? thats also a good idea! well thanks again for ur support.
    lovegigi

Answer by lovegigi at 8:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• extra outfits,sun block,snacks,water,stroller,we took a cooler with us when we went,put fruit in it,ice,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009