My rottweiler licks me so much...

he is 3 month old. he trys to stand up and hold me. What should I do about it? I know likcking means he loves me but I don't like get getting wet all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Pets

• uhmmm hmmmm hold you like a dog does the nookie nookie dance? With your knew in his chest as soon as he jumps on you firmly loudly, without screaming or yelling- say Puppy's Name NO JUMPING!!!!! If he does it to others say the same thing. Be consistent like we have to be consistent with our kids. lol me? I was more consistent with my dogs than my kids. jk jk. two of my kids are in their twenties and one younger, all three still like me so something somewhere I did right.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• sorry ... is it obvious that I meant ............ with your KNEE in his chest --------
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have three rottweilers, one that is almost 2, one that is 4 and a puppy that is 5 months and already weighs 83 pounds. You have got to show your puppy that you are the dominate person. As a rott he is gonna be big, my concern is the standing up on you. The older he gets the harder it is going to be to break him from any bad habits. The licking can be stopped by telling him no, over and over again in a stern monotone voice. It worked for me, hope it can work for you. Just be repetative.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 7:07 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Using the word "no" too much can make him indifferent to it. Instead, try making a loud noise like "UH-UH!" And don't use his name to reprimand him; he'll learn to associate his name with negativity and then he won't want to come when you call him. When he jumps up on you, just turn your back on him and ignore him. Like if he jumps up on your front, turn around quickly, and keep doing it until he learns that jumping won't get him any attention (if he tries to get in your lap when you're sitting, just stand up and turn your back.)
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:21 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I agree pretty well with SarahLeeMorgan. However, the jumping and standing can be a bigger issue than just turning, because if you just turn away, he can use that as a dominance feature. Try cupping your hand over the bridge of his nose and forcing him to his feet. Press two fingers firmly between his shoulder blades until he lays down, and roll him onto his back to submit to you. He will relate jumping with submitting, thereby avoiding the situation. You HAVE to be repetitive. It is not a strike, so he will not associate it with aggression, and won't fear you.

I HATE licking, and my dogs DO NOT! I don't like it when we have company and my dog constantly slobbers on the visitor. The only way I have been able to curb it is to first make the "EHT!" buzzer noise, then tightly clamp your hand over his mouth to hold it shut. If you can catch his tongue out, even better. He will yelp, but that's all I've found to avoid it.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:14 AM on Aug. 22, 2009