Save money

What do you do to save money? We are so far in freaking debt right now it isn't funny and I feel like I am trying to squeeze blood out of a turnip! We are pinching pennies the best way we know how... What's your idea?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Do you have cable, internet, dvd rental, go to see movies, go out to eat or order delivery? Those are basics to completely cut out. If you have already done that, do you have a budget? If not, set one and stick to it. Shop sales for groceries and necessities. Shop around for car insurance and renters/home insurance. Have you done that?
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• We only eat out about twice a month now. Have you ever thought about working from home to make some extra money to pay your debt off? I recently started working from home and I’m very happy doing what I do!!! I work with a great team of Moms. We help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.
    I'd love to tell you more about our team and introduce you to the business!
    Erika

Visit me at:
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 7:20 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• if the creditors are the main issues and you havent already tried to talk them about lowering your payments then do so, if you are past that point them talk to consumer credit counseling they can help you with repayment plans and a monthly budget that you can afford, it will mean cutting credit cards and closing accounts but it works and you dont have the pressure of nasty mail and phone calls, it can give you breathing room and stop the interest from accruing so you can actually pay off the bills.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• buy groceries only on sale and use coupons from the paper

cut car insurance completely if you don't drive very much

buy more vegetables, seriously for two dollars you can get a whole big wok full of sauteed vegetables as a dinner/side

shop at cheaper stores

see if you qualify for assistance
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Just a few "small" things:
    Buy a magicjack and use it instead of a regular homephone, we paid 59.99 for 5 years of phoneservice with the magicjack (www.magicjack.com)
    Get rid of your cellphone contracts and get a prepaid cell!
    Cancel cable TV and use Netflix!
    Use coupons for grocery shopping.
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 7:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I use coupons, buy generics and store brands and stuff on sale. I make sure that lights and tvs are off if no one is watching tv or in rooms. We started turning the air conditioner on only if it's humid and about 85 degrees. We use fans at night.
    officerjoeys

Answer by officerjoeys at 8:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• We don't have cable (also use Netflix!), no long distance and we don't eat out. We have a pre paid cell phone and We also don't buy things we don't need and we write down our expenses. When you put it in writing what you are spending, it makes you really look at it.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 10:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Cost cutting only works if you can cover scaled down expenses with salary. I assume you've already hit eating out, conviennce foods, paid entertainment, cable, everything but basic phone service, vacations. Can you find a better priced insurance for what you need? Can you reduce electric by using compact fluorescent bulbs? Unplug your appliances to eliminate "phantom" electricity usage? Allow your home to get warmer before turning on the AC? (Dress lighter). Allow the house to get colder before putting on the heat? (Add sweaters and blankets). Take military showers. Wet down. Turn off the water. Suds up. Turn on water to rinse. A cheaper place to live? Eliminate your car? Take public transport, bike or foot? Put a freeze on clothing purchases. Mend, dye existing pieces. Purchase used. Repair shoes. Use freecycle, Try vegan meals, breakfast for supper, soups, leftovers. Look at $ blogs online for more ideas.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 9:40 PM on Aug. 22, 2009