Would it be okay to have another baby even though i have a 5mth old already

Family23

Asked by Family23 at 7:22 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I got pregnant again when m-y first was 8 months old. My girls are 16 months apart. When i first brought baby home my oldest was VERY jealous because she didn't really know what was going on. But a month later she was wanting to hold her little sister. :)

Its hard having them close together but i actually enjoy it very much. Its really all up to you and your SO. If you think you ready and want another really bad then go for it. Its your body and your life. :)
    SMarsolf

Answer by SMarsolf at 7:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Why would it be a problem? If your hubby or SO doesn't want another, then I could see a problem!! :-) My kids are 15 months, 18 months, and soon to be 14 months apart! It's busy, but wonderful.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I'm a psychology professor, so I have a tendency to look at things from a different perspective than most. :) The first thing that went through my mind when I first read your question is that the farther apart children are born, the higher each child's intelligence is. This has been shown over and over in numerous studies. It has to do with the amount of attention (intellectual stimulation) each child gets. When children are born close together, you're dealing with two children who are very young, and therefore, very demanding. Each child isn't going to get the same amount of attention as they would if they were either only children or 3 or 4 years apart.

Obviously there are always exceptions and people have children close together all of the time. Just thought I'd give you a different perspective to think about.
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 7:31 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Well...first question is whether you are physically ready for another so soon. Pregnancy is like running a couple of Iron Man Triathlons. If the doc says you're good to go, then the next question is whether you can handle two so close.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• "The first thing that went through my mind when I first read your question is that the farther apart children are born, the higher each child's intelligence is."

Really? That explains a few things.....

• I space my kids four years between two oldest and 8 years youngest to oldest. I was selfish and wanted to enjoy each babyhood without battling another baby. My older kid(s) per new sibling acted like babies at times (and still do in the 20's!!!! lol!!) but at least I didn't have to have more than one baby in a diaper at a time. That's what I didn't want to have.

What ever you decide you sure are putting thought in it. Enjoy life enjoy your family how ever many you have.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009