Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm unprepared when it comes to my 4 year old son starting school for the first time and I'm not sure how much time I have before all the paperwork needs to be in and I live here in New York.Most schools are giving parents until the 3rd of september but headstart is different and I know I can't put up with this child until he goes to kindergarten next year so what's the 411 on registration?

Answer Question

Asked by wandaluv at 7:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (16)
  • How about actually getting up and picking up the phone and calling his school?

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • WOW!! I'm sorry you feel that way about your child!

    Answer by kristyn165 at 7:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • yeah.....what kristyn165 said.

    Answer by officerjoeys at 8:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • Geez, I don't want my son to start school, because that means I get to spend less time with him. Yes, I need a break from my son at times, and him from me, but GEEZ!!!

    Answer by Eco-Mother at 8:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • geezz.... I want to cry knowing my son is starting preschool this year! Im gonna miss my babe... he can make me a bit bit nuts but hes 4 and thats his job!!! anyway we had our paper worked finished in april... and now there are no more openings so I dont know when "deadlines" are it would depend on the school, not the state.. call them...


    Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • i don't know firsthand but i have heard that preschool registration is crazy in New York, and for a head start program i know that spots can be limited

    has he already been guaranteed a place?


    Answer by trying2survive at 10:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • for one.. call headstart. for two.. make an appointment.. for three.. bring whatever they ask you to bring.. for four.. try loving your child

    Answer by starmoonlight at 11:16 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • In West Virginia, the registration process started last spring in March. It probably began in NY last spring also. Go ahead and call or visit the Head Start office and tell them you have a child to enroll in their program. You will need to take with you the following: State Birth Certificate, updated shot records( 4 year old boosters if he has already turned 4),. They may also have an application for you to fill out with health history.

    Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 11:48 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

  • I don't know about head start but the local u-prek program where I live still has space. You might what to try you school distract. I'm sorry you feel that way about your child. :(

    LovetoTeach, there was a sign up in March in WNY, for my area you also need proof of where you live, tax records or lease, and a dental form

    Answer by PeytonNBella at 7:47 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

  • nearest to you:

    Program Contact Information
    Please visit the New York Council on Children & Families to visit the program web site at:

    Try these sites, they may help you......... I live in NY, my youngest went to headstart 14 years ago. I dropped him at college yesterday.....

    Answer by PestPatti at 8:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.