natural insulin?

I believe I may have type 1 diabetes. Everything I've read about it says healthy diet, exercise, and insulin will help. I have a very healthy diet but I can make more improvements. I get exercise but could probably use more. That's 2 down. Is insulin needed? Can better lifestyle cure it alone? I don't understand how my lifestyle is a problem at all since I'm rather young and take health seriously. Are there natural ways of getting insulin without using the lab-made or animal products often prescribed? I'm not comfortable with drugging myself everyday. I also don't have insurance to pay for it. Are there any natural ways out of this? Does anyone have any tips?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Health

• Type 1, your body makes little to no insulin, type 2 CAN be cure or fixed with lifestyle changes. But to answer your question, if you need insulin which some do for type 2, there is no natural way to get it if your pancreas doesn't produce it or enough of it.

You have to go to the Dr to find out which type you have or if you have it at all...
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Hi, I am a type one diabetic and have been for 25 years. Type 1 diabetes is when your body makes NO insulin. Type 1 diabetes is usually diagnosed when you are young, hence the name "Juvenile Diabetes" Type 2 is when your body makes insulin, not enough insulin or just doesn't know what to do with the insulin your body is making. Do you have symptoms of Diabetes? Such as, extreme weight loss, being thirsty constantly, being hungry constantly, blurry vision, etc. These are typical red flags for Diabetes. However, to confirm diabetes, you need a blood test to check your blood sugar. If you have type 1, you need insulin to survive but if you have type 2, you can control it with weight management, oral medication and sometimes insulin. My advice, see your doctor ASAP.

Message me if you have ANY questions...I've had diabetes for a longgg time!!
    katfranz111

Answer by katfranz111 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Just because you have some symptoms that may indicate diabetes does not indicate that you are diabetic. Please go see the doctor and get a diagnosis made from the proper blood tests. If you are diagnosed with diabetes then talk to the doctor about your options.

Type 1 diabetics have a pancreas doesn't produce insulin. If you are diagnosed with Type 1 you WILL have to take insulin to live. If this is the case then tell the doctor your concerns about using synthetic insulin.

Type 2 diabetics have bodies (cells) that don't properly use insulin. For type 2 diabetics there are medications available; insulin is usually a last resort.

Doesn't matter if a person is Type 1 or 2, a healthy diet with restricted carbs and plenty of exercise, along with monitoring blood sugar levels, are great ideas anyway.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:39 PM on Aug. 21, 2009