How do I stop my 1 year old from biting?

For the past few weeks my 1 year old has been biting. I have been telling him "no bite" firmly but it't not working. I don't think he really knows what "bite" means (he just turned 1 in July). What do you suggest? He bit someone at daycare today and I really want to break it

a_and_j_momma

Asked by a_and_j_momma at 8:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know a lot of mothers would not recommend this, but I had tried everything else in the book with my son when he was biting. After more than 2 months of near daily calls and reports from the daycare that my son was biting the other children AND the teachers I decided that the "passive techniques" I was using were just not enough. It took two days to break my son of the habit from that point. The first day, when he bit me, I thumped his little mouth. NOT SMACKED him, just a good thump, it surprises them, but doesn't hurt them, gets their attention. Day 2 was hard for me, I was at the end of my rope and had no idea what else to do. He decided that was the day he was going to bite me hard enough to draw blood. I bit him back. I didn't leave a bruise or draw blood, but just hard enough to get his attention and make him realize what he was doing. It was red for about an hour, then went away completely. Good luck.
    Eco-Mother

Answer by Eco-Mother at 8:17 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• devilBite him back! I know it sounds mean but it works I did that to my son and he is 10 now but he was 1.5 years old and he bit his baby sister and I bit him on his arm and he never did it again I told him do you like it !!! he said no and that was that!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• i am on the "bite him back" team also. let him know what it feels like
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 8:18 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My daughter did that at this age also! I did not bite back! I told her that she hurt mommy and showed her the mark of the bite! For her it was just a phase while she was teething, since teething is over she did never bite again!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 8:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The only time my DD trys (she never has) is when she is teething.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I should say she hasn't yet.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• OMG! Do NOT bite your little one year old child! What the heck? I can't even believe this! That is ridiculous! They are learning from YOU, PEOPLE! You are only teaching them to bite more! Not to mention, inflicting unnecessary pain on a small child who doesn't know better. Tell her "no" firmly. At his age, they aren't able to put two and two together if you did bite him.
    jaysmommy007

Answer by jaysmommy007 at 10:46 PM on Aug. 24, 2009