worried about speech?

my dd is 20 months old. She says a few words, but most of them aren't very clear. She knows what the words are, and their meaning, because if I ask where something is, she points to it. She just can't say them. Anyone have any tips on how to help her pronounce words better? She says mom, ba ba, da da, pa pa, pretty, get, stop, hi, and nick (her cousin) well, but says grandma like a-ma, kitty like key, tree like wee, bye almost sounds like hi with her the only difference is in the wave for bye and the hug for hi. lol. Any tips would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't sweat it. At 20 months my boys were about the same as your DD, and now at 2.5 the are jabbering away.... Children develop their verbal skills at different rates. Your DD understands words, can say words, understands directions, etc...sounds like she's right on track. Fine tuning pronunciation will come with time. Some sounds are hard for younger kiddos to make. For instance, "L" is a sound that is not mastered by some kiddos until PreK. I would read to her, sing songs, and encourage conversation - but other than that give her a few more months and I bet her vocabulary will grow and her speech become more clear. :o)
    twinnmom222

Answer by twinnmom222 at 1:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• are you speaking to her in two different languages?
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• b/c that will affect their speech too..it does to my niece, she's 27 months and we speak to her in Spanish and English, and she can talk, she just mixes word 2gether (in english and spanish)
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 8:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• no, because I don't want to confuse her, and I don't speak any other language well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Aug. 21, 2009