breastfeeding and sleeping...

Im planning on breastfeeding, this is my first child, but how do I do it when she's hungry in the middle of the night? can I lay down and b/f her? just wondering, I don't want to use a bottle until she is almost 2months b/c I want her to be only breastfeeding.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i found that laying baby next to me worked best for us,but the 1st 3 months are very hard and most moms dont think they are making enough and supplement,baby will want to nurse every hour it seems.you might fall asleep too,i did,so make sure there is a bearyer so baby wont fall.i always feed baby from both breast in one feeding too becouse you will get one boob bigger if you dont.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I laid down to feed my son too in the middle of the night, If I fell asleep and he woke up I rolled over with him to the other boob. It was pretty easy, I like laying vs sitting, bc they feed so much the first two weeks, my arms didnt get tired LOL from holding him. Read all you can, dont worry about how much baby is eating as long as he is growing and has 6-8 wet diapers a day, he is getting enough. Dont think hes not getting enough when you are feeding every hour either LOL, that is normal, but it doesnt last long.. Take classes, latching can be hard but once you and baby get the hang of things, it is so easy.... OH yeah dont pull baby off the breast with out sticking your finger between his mouth and the breast to break the suction... you want more than just the nipple in his mouth also, you want his mouth as far behind the nipple as possible...GL
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:55 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Listen to midnightmoma, she has good advice.
    Oh yeah, I breastfed while lying down in the middle of the night. Almost all newborns will need to feed during the night, so it's super convenient if you just lay on your side with your baby. I loved it, I didn't miss as much rest/sleep, and the baby slept better being close to me.
    It seems much easier to me than getting up, warming a bottle, and feeding! :) You'll do great! GL
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Yep, the best way to get good rest is to learn to nurse lying down. Bring baby in bed with you at night to nurse. Check out Should I sleep with my baby? for some good info on sleeping and breastfeeding.

A great collection of articlees on sleeping and breastfeeding at http://www.llli.org/NB/NBsleep.html

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• And get a latch assist from walmart.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I see no problem with lying down with your child while breastfeeding. Just don't let your self roll over or forget to feed your child from the other breast. One word of advice don't make it to much of a habit or it will become were they are always wanting to come in a sleep next to you for that closeness.

evansmom446

Answer by evansmom446 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 23, 2009