question for athiests - anyone can answer though.

If you have no belief in a God or God's then what do you believe happens when you die? Do you think that one must have a belief in a God in order to believe there is a life [of some type] after death ? Is it possible [ in your opinion] to have something after death,... whether it's a heaven or another life , if there is no God? Do you have a soul? Where does a persons soul Go ? If you dismiss all possibilities as an atheist for a here after then why can there not be anything simply because of a lack of belief in God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe the energy that makes us up, returns the universe from which it came. The universe is energy, the stars, moon, sun, wind, grass, trees, everything is energy. And we are the same. Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. So I believe our energy simply moves on.
    I don't believe in a heaven or a hell, simply energy.
    I think it's possible for our energies to return to another human, and become part of them...sort of like havng another life.
    I also believe this is what our souls are as well.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My eldest brother is an aethiest. He told me that he believes there is no God and you have no soul. You just die and your body is returned to earth for worm feed. However I do believe opposite from his thoughts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

•  I don't believe in life after death which makes life all the more precious.  I know I will die, that is the cycle of life and I don't need the thought of a perfect afterlife to get me through this life. 

I consider my soul to the essence of my thoughts which makes me a unique individual in a sea of billions.

Now why would I need a god?

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:41 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If you have no belief in a God or God's then what do you believe happens when you die? Dunno, really. I'd venture to say that that's "it". Once your brain stops working, you stop being concious and you cease to be. It's terrifying and impossible to imagine, I know, but I'm pretty realistic about the whole thing. I'm also agnostic though, so I don't rule out a higher power 100%.

Do you think that one must have a belief in a God in order to believe there is a life [of some type] after death ? Nah. Some people believe in a universal energy, but not a deity itself.

Is it possible [ in your opinion] to have something after death,... whether it's a heaven or another life , if there is no God? Like I said, who knows? I don't, you don't, nobody does.

Do you have a soul? Dunno. I don't believe in a "soul" in the Christian sense, anyway.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Where does a persons soul Go ? I don't think a "soul" can survive death. Not plausible.

If you dismiss all possibilities as an atheist for a here after then why can there not be anything simply because of a lack of belief in God? not applicable.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:46 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• To sahmama - Love you idea an explaination thanks for taking the time
    to beeky - I enjoyed your answer as well but I do want to clarify that I don't mean to imply the next whatever that would occur after this death would need to be "perfect" or anything of the sort. I am simply wondering if any atheists might believe there is something more , could be another plain of existence or whatever..thanks for taking time to reply !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• When you die, you are dead. The closest thing to an afterlife anyone has is the legacy they leave to those who knew them.

I don't understand what is so hard to understand about that. Not necessarily you, OP....just christians in general I have had this discussion with before.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 10:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I'd like to think that there's more to it than this. I really really would. I find myself hoping for something more, but reason and logic tell me otherwise. It's something I struggle with a lot, especially since I was raised a Christian.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• hmm well i have stuggled with believing my entire life..its just something i find "hard to belive" i am not an atheist i am agnostic,,so therefore i dont rule it out. but i DO believe there is an afterlife. whether thats heaven or not is to question..i have a friend who has recently past.he was only20 years old and he was a very depressed person. he committed suicide a couple months ago. now i dream of him quite frequently and hes happy now..he smiles and laughs..and hes with our other friends who have past and family members. whether or not that has relevence to "real" life is to question but i belive that hes enjoying his "second" life. it seems unreal but i just think hes happy now. of COURSE i belive we ALL have souls..i really dont know why anyone wouldnt believe we have souls. so i guess in a way i mean his soul is living on. i definilty belive in having a soul. i also believe that peoples souls can be "reunited".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• roachiesmom - I hear you since I also have had some unpleasent discussions about this ( that would be why I posted it anon)
    caitxrawks - I understand I'm pretty much in the same spot.
    I do not believe in a "God" , I am a complete athiest. I do however think that it's possible that this life as I know it is only one aspect or plain of existence and there could be more. I believe in science. I like to have proof and to understand how and why but I also would like to think it's possible that there is more . God doesn't fit , for me , but I don't think that has to mean there is nothing else.
    To the other anon - I am so sorry for your loss.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Aug. 22, 2009