What should I serve at a dinner party?

At the insistance of my 5 yo ds, we're having a dinner party Monday night. He wanted to do this b/c we eat dinner at my parents' house regularly but they don't come here much. Attendees will be my parents, three brothers, and possibly a friend of mine. Oh, plus me and the kids. Dh will be at work. So 8-9 ppl, some of whom are pretty big eaters. I'd like for ds to be able to help some since this is "his" party. He'd like this as well. Maybe an appetizer to have ready for everyone to snack on as others arrive and then a main course, a side dish, a salad, and some type of bread. Anyone have any specific but great suggestions/ recipes??

rachel92782

Asked by rachel92782 at 9:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• stuffed shells, easy, cheap and can make alot for alot of people.
    boil your shells al dente (not quite cooked)
    mix 8 oz ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup parm cheese and an egg, add garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and parsley to taste. when your shells are al dente take a spoon and stuff them w/the cheese mixture, place in a baking dish that has a small amount of your fave spagetti sauce on the bottom. cover the shells in the remaining sauce (you want to make sure they are covered if they aren't the shell will burn) then top that w/more mozzarella cheese. bake for about 45 mins at 350 degrees (cheese on top will be slightly brown) if you make a whole box of shells you'll need to double the cheese mix and it'll make about 2 large cake pans full. very filling and whatever isn't eaten, freeze it and then cook it straight outta the freezer. serve w/garlic bread and a salad.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• How about marinated fish on the grill (You can buy frozen Tilapia at the store pretty cheaply) Marinated in honey Teriaki sauce, Rice pilaf, Corn on the cob, and a simple salad?
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 12:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Baked ziti, garden salad and bread would be my idea. A simple hummus with pita chips would be something that your dear, sweet little man could make. I'll tell ya....he must have a heart of gold to come up with this idea himself. Good job Mama.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:41 PM on Aug. 22, 2009