if your kid was diabetes diagnosed before kindergarten what made u take them to the dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I don't have a diabetic child but I take care of them. The symptoms that parents bring them in for are increased thirst, increased urination, weight loss, and sometimes a constant hunger. If you are concerned for your child call your pediatrician and ask. They can do a simple finger poke to check a blood sugar in the office. This isn't something that you want to wait on. As mentioned above it can escalate into a coma. I always feel it never hurts to call the pedi and ask!
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My sister was diagnosed at 22 months old. She has been really sick for awhile, then one day she slept for almost 23 hours. We couldnt wake her for more than 5 minutes at a time. Mom took her to the ER and her sugar was 519. She was almost in a diabetic coma. They sent her to UK Childrens Hospital where she stayed for 2 weeks...they diagnosed her with juvenile diabeties. She is now 18 years old and still doesnt have it totally under control. They are getting ready to place an insulin pump in her.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 10:05 PM on Aug. 21, 2009