• In the Spotlight:

preschool for socializing ?

I just enrolled my son at a learing center not a day care for two days a week 4 hours a day and im starting to feel bad about it. He doesnt get out to play with other kids at all and Ive tried doing the whole mommies group play dates and it just didnt work out all the moms were to fake. I dont know if this is something thats beneficial or if hes going to hate me for it. again its not a day care is a early childhood development center with a curiculum based on him age group so he would be learning and playing with other kids. what do you think ?

ryansmommy07

Asked by ryansmommy07 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i did it with my daughter. she was an only child at the time and no kids her age in our neighborhood, so i put her in a day care/preschool 2 days a week. i dropped her off either before i went to work ( usually worked nights but those two days a week i sometimes worked since she had a sitter) or i just took her than went home and did housestuff or ran errands. it taught her alot about sharing, respect, and getting along with others. she loved it and it was great for me too when i got some quiet time. don't feel bad, it'll be good for him. and hes not going to hate you, for about the first 2 weeks (since its only twice a week) he won't want you to leave,just walk away smiling, cry when you get outside if he sees you cry he'll think there is something to worry about. after about 2 weeks he won't even care if you walk him all the way to the door and he won't want to leave.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I felt bad putting my son in daycare (and that was 5 days/wk) when I was finishing school. He hated it at first. I pulled him out in june because we couldn't afford it and I am again a sahm. He really thrived and the social interaction did him good. He still asks for the kids and the teacher and gets upset that there's "no school today". I think your son will do fine, it will take some transitioning but it will be good for him in the end
    sweetboys4me

Answer by sweetboys4me at 10:25 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Anom, why do you have to be rude!

I have worked in early childhood centers before and I think it's good for the kids to be around other kids. A couple days a week for a few hours isn't going to make him hate you for it.I think it's a great idea.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:26 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think that is a GREAT idea. I teach preschoolers and I see so many freindships being made at 21/2 -3 years of age. It is good that your child is around others and is getting exposed to many things. I would just make sure this is a good fit for your son by visting the school before he starts and seeing if you like the way the teachers interact with the children. Let me know what you think! BTW...the 1st week or so will be hard. Prob. more for you than your child. Stay strong, give it time.
    crazy4u49033

Answer by crazy4u49033 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• When we went in today to enroll him he loved it ! he didnt want to leave he was to busy trying to play with the other kids ! and best of all its down the street from my mothers house in case of emergency !
    ryansmommy07

Answer by ryansmommy07 at 10:28 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• She asked what we thought, I told her what I thought. I'm sorry if she is hurt by it. I have worked with small children for a long time. I know exactly what goes on in preschool. It isn't neccesary. It is a systematic approach to get children into school younger and younger for one reason only and that is to get moms to go to work. Period.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I taught pre-school for 3 and 4yr. olds. I have a teaching degree in Special Educ. I think it enhances socialization, developmental and other skills. For example learning to take turns, be considerate of other people and there feelings, and learning to get along with others. Of corse they may learn those things at home, but when put in a different environment it can be more enriching. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for this. It is up to the parent and nobody should be so inconsiderate if they have a different oppinion. Just sate so and don't be so immature!!
    team21

Answer by team21 at 10:33 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I worked in child care centers before working with special needs children, they were all educaitonal.....all "daycares" have to have a curriculum. Anyways. It's beneficial for them to be there with other kids. Kindergarten will not be such a shock to them either. Don't feel bad. He will love playing with other children and making friends!!!!!
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Why would your child hate you for it? He won't even remember it when he gets older.

I think it's a lovely idea. As a preschool teacher, I had lots of stay at home moms who enrolled their children for our 2 day/week program (4 hours per day). It was a time for the children to interact with one another, and the children had a lot of fun.

I don't know what the heck that anon is talking about. Children receive formal education when the time comes. A daycare or preschool program is NOT formal education.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My dd is super social & I feel she doesnt get enough time with other kids.. ive looked around to put her in SOMETHING--ANYTHING... that will give her more socialization, but dang! its too expensive!

I only want her going for 2 days a week, maybe until noon ... but so far for 2 days. a few hrs a day (2-4hrs) its $60/wk... Our YMCA membership is only $30/mo & that covers me, dh & dd!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009