Does the cat understand that my 16 month old doesn't know any better?

LOL..my baby swings at the cat and tries to pull his tail ALL the time. He steps on him and chases him around. The cat just has this look on his face like,"Geez kid, can I just get a little bit of peace??!" My son just cracks up when the cat runs from him. In some weird way, does he understand he's only a baby? Don't laugh at me! :-)

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I had cats before I had kids. My cats had not really been around kids, and were 6yr and 4yr when the 1st baby was born. I think my cats did realize that the kids did not mean harm, and if they felt bothered they would either give a warning meow or get up and move out of reach. I also taught my kids to 'make nice to kitty' -- meaning pet nice, no pulling cat whiskers, no pulling cat tail, no hitting cat... I would keep an eye on them around the cats and if my kids got out of line I would move the cat, and then let the child know that they were not being nice to kitty.
    Your son is old enough to learn how to treat the cat. I would keep an eye on him when he is near the cat and when he starts pulling on the cat, move the cat to a 'safe' spot and tell your son 'NO. We do not pull kitty whiskers. That hurts kitty. We pet kitty nice." The key is to be consistant, and correct him every time.
    good luck
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You shouldn't allow your child to do that to the cat!
    And no, the cat probably doesn't understand! But you can make your child understand!
    crazypink

Answer by crazypink at 10:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• the cat does NOT understand that :(
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:12 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• no animals will give people a shot and walk away usually (if they are pets) but if they keep getting chased and picked on, the cat is gonna bite or scratch. so try a little harder to nip that in the butt now.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I agree with the others, children need to be taught at an early age how to treat animals. At 16 mos old, your son is old enough to begin learning how to pet the cat nice and not pull his tail and chase him. But it's your responsibility to teach him by example and correct him when he's mistreating the cat. The cat definitely doesn't understand, but your son can.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Honestly if you're not going to seriously stop the child from doing this, PLEASE find the cat a better home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• at 9 months old My son new how to do "nice touches" to our pets- Its NOT funny that you allow him to do that, because HE is capable of learning nice touches, and your kitty is not capable of understanding. if you can't take the time to teach right from wrong with your family pets, than you shouldn't keep the kitty-

JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:35 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• Whoa...before the next post is about me needing a parenting class, I did not include that I DO indeed show my child how to treat and touch the cat. I don't sit back and laugh while he mistreats the animal. I was using humor in the post only. So excuse me for making light but the cat is not being abused to the point where he needs a new home. I just got the cat last week so though he's being shown, he's not going to have the lesson down by this week. But thanks anyway perfect parents.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009