I just dont get it (asked in money and work too not sure where to post it)

I just dont get it.What do you think about this? We are in recession, the economy is hurting, there are homeless people and little kids going to bed without dinner, gas is outrageous, food is expensive, people losing their jobs or getting laid off everyday and everything else that is going on and what did I read in the newspaper the other day that really pissed me off? My state is getting 5.4 million dollars stimilus money to do what? To fix the forrests that got damaged by the ice storms!! How f'd is that? The trees are more important than people. We also got a lot of money for the city next to me to make it more attractive. I just dont get it oh yeah our school got so many thousands to do whatever with so they are upgrading to new computers when the ones they have is only 2 years old. Why is the money towards things that we dont have to have instead of helping the more important situations at hand?

heavenlypeace

Asked by heavenlypeace at 10:19 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• the world is full of stupid people?? lol
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 10:23 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• The public works projects create local jobs, which stimulates the local economy b/c now people will have money to spend. The improved public spaces may attract more people/tourists, which in turn creates commerce, which again stimulates the local economy. Areas that look better tend to attract more businesses, as well, so again, stimulates the local economy. All of this is good.

As for the educational funds, well, those funds were probably from a grant foundation and such funds often must be used for specific purposes. Besides, the purchase of new computers creates a demand that will in turn either create jobs for people or help people to maintain their current employment. People who are employed have money to spend on food, shelter, clothing, etc., which stimulates the economy.

There are better ways to help people than by simply handing things to them, and most people prefer to work for what they get.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:44 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• mom2aspclboy-- I understand what you are saying but there are people that need help right now, that cant wait for a new job to be created before they can eat. Im not saying hand money to them because that is never good, but maybe help pay their utilities or house payments anything to help the ones who are in need NOW. Im not talking about the down right lazy people who refuse to work. Im talking about the ones working their asses off trying to feed their families and make ends meet. Is a broken tree limb more important than a kid eating? Fixing the forrests would be alright with me if I didnt see all these people who need help now.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 11:10 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• You enjoy breathing, don't you? Trees create oxygen. Without oxygen, none of that other stuff matters.

Besides some of the trees in need of "fixing" could be hazardous, or potentially so...limbs could fall on people, a dying/damaged tree could fall over on someone or on someone's property. Most people wouldn't hesitate to sue over that because your town had not properly taken care of this situation before it escalated and someone was hurt or killed.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 12:04 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• heavenlypeace - there are already programs in place to help those in need now.

Families who are that desperate can get foodstamps, cash assistance & medical assistance from the federal/state governments. For those w/children under age 5, there is WIC. Many schools offer free breakfast & lunches to children, even through the summer months, for qualifying families, with similar programs for eligible seniors. Many local chairtable organizations run foodbanks & clothing exchanges. Most, if not all, states offer utilities assistance, including home weatherization programs that help you save money on your utilties, and often the utility companies themselves offer these types of programs in addition to budget programs. There are also discount food programs like AngleFood Ministries where a family can purchase a $60 box worth of food for $30 & get as many boxes as they need.

The help is out there if you look for it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:09 AM on Aug. 22, 2009