How much would it cost to start making beaded jewelry?

Just a rough estimate for the basic supplies and a decent selection of beads... thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Hopefully a hobby or gift making. Unless you're extremely talented, it's like the rest of the world does the same thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It depends on the supplies you would use. I wire wrap jewelry, so I use sterling silver wire and the "rocks" I use vary. Like the one in my avatar? Its a faceted garnet (on the bottom) and a faceted tourmaline (on the top).
    Start small, because if you're going to do beading, it'll hurt your hands.
    Seraphimred

Answer by Seraphimred at 12:45 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• My supplies are very expensive, but I use a lot of sterling silver and turquoise. Never mind the crabby anon on here either their is always room for jewelry makers especially if your products are unique!

lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:09 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• It depends on what kind of beads you use and the type of stringing material..there are tons of varieties and when you actually find yourself in a store that sells beads, the toughest choice will be which beads to choose..there are tons of choices! I've spent as litle as $5.00 on one beaded necklace and then also spent as much as $25.00 in beads for one..depends on the materials. Best thing, or least expensive thing in the long run, is to buy what you can afford in bulk. Lots of online bead suppliers, but be aware of where they ship from..sometimes the shipping costs are more than the beads because of where they come from. Have fun with it..I love making jewelry.
    SuZQ55

Answer by SuZQ55 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• The main thing you want to do is make sure you don't just go to walmart and buy the basic stuff they have there as much as I hate to I have to agree with the first poster, it seems everyone these days is making jewelry I know atleast 8 people who make it and sell it and unfortunately most of it is all similar because they buy all their stuff from the same place.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:48 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• There are some good catalogs and websites for supplies. My fave is Fire Mountain Gems. Gigantic catalog, quantity discounts, good quality tools. Their site is huge as well, I like looking at the paper catalog better. Good luck!
    kestrelscall

Answer by kestrelscall at 11:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2009

• When I started working on bead work and what not, I spent close to $300 in supplies. My Sister taught me with her things, then I made a trip to Michaels.
    I do all kinds of things, the imagination is a great tool.
    Catrin2009

Answer by Catrin2009 at 8:28 PM on Aug. 26, 2009