Is it wrong to skimp on school supplies for the teacher?

In our school district we are required to pay ridiculous school fees for our kids to go to a public school. I already dont agree with that. On top of all the money we have to pay every year for our kids to attend "free" school the schools are making parents buy supplies for the teachers. Such things i am referring to are dry erase markers and now even erasors for the white board. I dont mind the tissues so much cuz my child uses a ton of kleenex but really...erasors? anyways Its going to be two weeks before I could even get those things and there is a part of me that says its not my responsibility to make sure the TEACHER has all her supplies when they get all this money from me as it is. Does anyone else have to buy supplies for the teachers besides stuff for the classroom like tissues, paper towels? plus we were asked to buy highlighters and i have a feeling thats for her too.
This SUX!

SaturnsMom

Asked by SaturnsMom at 10:34 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in

• we have to buy tissue, ziplocs, hand sanitizer, and more pencils and crayons then my child will ever use. in our district we have to pay registration fees for middle school and high school but not elem. we also have to send activity money to the elem school. I used to work for the purchasing dept and was part of ordeing supplies for all the schools and delivering them, they get all the same things they ask parents for but they have strict budgest to follow, what kills me is that at the end of the school year they are ordering items like mad because they have left over money, so I know that the money is there and they will not suffer if i short them a box or two of crayons because my budget is tight buying for all 3 of my kids. If a teacher ask during the year for more supplies which does happen i do what i can to help. I dont think its right and it wasnt like this when i was in school.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 11:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I'm sorry, how can they make you pay for your child's so called guarentied free education? What do you pay for?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It's just crazy. I do not have school age kids....but aren't taxes supposed to cover some of those costs? I agree with you. The things the children use, I get, but the teachers supplies? I would just simply say, we can't afford it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:37 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• If it were because I can't afford to I would let the teacher and the administrator know that unfortunately it does not fit into my budget. If I could afford it then I would gladly do for the teacher. Teachers spend a lot of their personal money on your child through the school year. Those stickers, neat bulletin boards, fun books available to read, toys to play with....those are not part of the school budget. They purchase that out of their own pocket. To supply a teacher with a few items would not offend my senses. I send my child to a private school, pay a very high tuition, and am asked to "donate" all the time to the school. A school that is for profit! But I made my choice and you have to make yours. I do plan on public school in the coming years and I will send the teacher a basket full of stickers, pens, paper, pencils, and other goodies for him or her to use for the class.  My child and other kids are worth it.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:42 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I am seeing antibacterial wipes on a lot of lists.... this troubles me.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:47 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• why would antibacterial wipes trouble you? that to me would seem to be a good thing, means they want to keep germs away...
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have to buy two boxes of baby wipes, hand santitizer, kleenex of course and gallon sized ziplock bags, and last but not least sandwich sized ziplock bags. And on the school supply it said's " If we have listed brand names, it is because they are better."
    And yes everything is listed brand name!
    PcillaCoronado

Answer by PcillaCoronado at 10:53 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• On My first graders list was 5 dry earase markers While some of the things they ask for can get a little pathadic I dont care to send them in
    JESSMCARTER325

Answer by JESSMCARTER325 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My 2nd grader needed to have dry erase markers and an eraser for the white board, but each child gets a small white board and they do math on them, so my kid will be using the stuff he brings. Really the school should be supplying things like white board markers and erasers, but if it was on the list and I could afford it, I'd send it. I stick to brand names for most things. They really are better and will be cheaper in the long run when they don't have to be replaced several times.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 11:57 PM on Aug. 21, 2009