Sort of embarrassing... My 3 years olds are curious is this normal.???

I have a 3 yr old son and a 3 yr old step daughter. I caught him last week saying touch my pee-pee. Tonight I was in the room she had her pants off he had his pants and underwear off and he was trying to iron (a kids toy iron) her butt or his own. He said he wanted to clean her butt. He had asked me earlier to allow him to clean my butt with the iron. I thought he was just being silly. But this seems rather weird. Then later in the night she asked him to take his pants off. I do not know what she sees at her mothers house. So I am at a loss... I am not sure if this is just silliness or is it time to stop letting them share baths???

CalebzMommy

Asked by CalebzMommy at 10:43 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it sounds like from the questions they're really aware of their differences and very very curious. now's the time to teach self respect and respecting others. I'd bathe them separately and enforce privacy very firmly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• every child look and touches themselves or others (I try to keep them to just touching themselve). It is natural, but should be explained to them that that is his pee pee and that is her pee pee and no one should touch it but them. I go though this with my 4 and 3 year old boys, they think it's funny to grab each others peepees, but I tell them that it's not right and they should only grab thier own.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 10:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I think its time to have the boys have that and girls have that convo.. also talk to them about not touching. Its private.. you know that talk but not the full talk just enough for a 3 year old. "Boys have this part and girls have that. It makes them different. Also not for touching" or however it goes. I only have girls so this convo hasn't been brought up.. I don't even know how i would do it though.
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 10:49 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• It is "normal" for them to be figuring out they are different. Maybe try to talk to them about their behaviors, but not seem like you are being shameful about it. I wouldn't want to make my kids feel they are doing something "wrong" or "dirty". When my nephew was close to 3 he asked my mom one day while they were bathing about his peepee and her pee pee....she explained things to him. Which you have to do a few times with little ones.... he thought about it and said to her "Gramma, daddy has a penis and so does grandpa.....(paused to think again), but my peepee is really little and daddys is really big" Hard to not laugh when I heard that. When I worked in daycare the children were caught on ocassion comparing their privates. But since they are your kids, chat with them about it. They will be able to comprehend your discussion of what is their personal space and to keep it private.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• This is super normal. All kids get curious. Just satisfy the curiosity and it will no longer be a problem. Sit them down, together or separately, as you see fit and explain the differences between boys and girls in age-apropriate language. Use the proper terms for their body parts and tell them that there is nothing wrong with their bodies or with being curious, but that they should come to you with their questions and not each other, since you can answer them better.

You may have to repeat a few times, since they are so little, but I'm sure everything will be fine :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:09 PM on Aug. 21, 2009