So.. now that he can use the fridge all by himself to get what he wants to eat...

how do I keep him from getting into my chocolate? I would put it in the freezer, but I don't like it frozen.

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 11:00 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't even let my three and a half year old get food out by herself, she asks for snacks if she's hungry. b
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 11:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• lol oh my.....how old is he that he can get in the fridge? my 1 year old has been fascinated with the inside since like 8 or 9 months I think.Every time i open it, he is in there. I need to know to prepare LOL
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• How old is he? My dd like to dig in the fridge as well but can't open it yet (at 21 mos). If I have ANY candy or chocolate in the house, she finds it! I try to keep it on top of the fridge but somehow she KNOWS! So, we don't keep anything like that in the house. If I do get a craving, I get a candy bar and wait until she is sleeping before I eat it. I usually keep it in my purse until then! GL!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 11:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• put a lock on it. my daughter is 3 1/2 she knows not to open the fridge, she actually never even tried til i had a friend over who's 1 1/2 yr old was a terror and opened my fridge and threw my food everywhere, since then i got a lock b/c she tried to copy him. but if he gets into it, than he'll constantly be eating and you won't know what, and you'll find food everywhere or drink everywhere.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:06 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• make one of the bottom drawers his snack drawer and hide the chocolate in the very back of the top shelf.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:11 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• My 3 yr old and my 2 yr old both know how to open the fridge. All day i have to keep an eye out from them getting into my fridge, so now when they do open it they push the lil lever to turn off the light, when the door is opened. I'm gonna get a lock soon!
    PcillaCoronado

Answer by PcillaCoronado at 11:13 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• When I hide something I want, I either put it in my room (in a closet or in a dresser-luckily we don't have ants) OR in the vegetable drawer. No one would dare look where vegetables are at my house, LOL!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 1:00 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I have the same problem with my 2.5 y/o boys. Many stores sell child safety latches for keeping the 'fridge closed, but I have found duct tape works just as well. Good luck!
    twinnmom222

Answer by twinnmom222 at 1:30 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• There are fridge "locks" that you can buy, and they can be found with the child safety items (like the door knob covers, etc). My son has kind of figured out how the lock works, but its also broken so that might be why its been easier for him to get into the fridge lately, LOL.
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 11:29 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I agree with locks. My kiddos also figured out how the locks worked so I am a little out of luck, but I know someone who actually got the hardware so she could lock the fridge with a padlock. It seems extreme but so much food was getting wasted and with food prices these days... it just wasn't worth it. ;)
    LisaPisa

Answer by LisaPisa at 2:25 PM on Aug. 22, 2009