My 15 year old daughter wants to ride her bike to school instead of taking the bus this year. The route is 2 miles one way. Do you think that's too far a ride? Carrying several books and a laptop in her backpack?

It's been pointed out that I can be overprotective so I thought I'd get more opinions. Thanks.

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 11:50 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would be more worried about some one snatching her. In this day and age.

Answer by louise2 at 11:51 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• louise2 you're right. too much of a worry op. Bus it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I have 14 year old that want to walk to school about 1.5 miles and I agree with louise2, todays time you can not be to careful.
    ayers65

Answer by ayers65 at 7:34 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I don't think it's too far of a ride and it's excellent exercise. But....it depends on your roads-if there's somewhere for her to safely ride, what type of street, if it's dark when she's travelling, all those types of safety concerns. And can she really carry all that for 2 miles, twice a day, every day without back pain? Maybe she can strap them on her bike. Also, can somebody else ride with her?

As for somebody snatching her, that can depend on your community, too. Will it be deserted or bustling with activity? Is she riding through heavily populated residential neighborhoods or lots of vacant land?
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 5:51 PM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I would let her do it if you are in a safe area, it is good exercise and you could always heave her text or call when she gets there so you won't be worried all day. As far as someone snatchihng her that could happen at the bus stop too. I know abductions happen but they are rare and we cannot protect our kids every second from everything. People slip and fall in the shower or fall down stairs and die, are you not going to let her shower or use stairs?
    Plus after a few days of riding that far with that much stuff getting to school all sweaty she will probably change her mind and want to ride the bus.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:38 AM on Aug. 23, 2009

• I agree with Mama k228. She has excellent points re: safe routes.

I rode my bike as a freshman in CA, but most students did. We had sidewalks and bike lanes. I had a book rack on my bike. Can't imagine wearing the backpack! Book racks and a couple bungee cords are cheap -- probably cheaper than the lock & chain she'll need. You'll also have to have a helmet rule which will NOT be cool (hat-head before school??)

May I point out one more concern?... What's wrong with riding the bus? Maybe you should try to find out if she's being teased, or ostracised. Every teen would rather drive than bus it, but going to a big effort to NOT ride the bus makes me wonder. If it is a social issue, maybe she can get her driver's learner's permit and use to/from school for practice. (a socially acceptable way to explain to schoolmates why she isn't on the bus)
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 6:22 PM on Aug. 23, 2009

• As long as she wears her helmet and is on city streets, I think that it is a great idea! My 14 year old will be riding her bike about 1.5 miles to and from the train station, and is considering getting a second beater bike to keep downtown to ride between the train and school (another 1.5 miles).

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 PM on Aug. 24, 2009

• My 14 year old started biking to school since she was 12, and she loves doing it! It's a good way to get exercise, too. I'm pretty comfortable with her doing it. Especially in the mornings , when hardly anybody's out. Just make sure she wears a helmet and either rides on streets with some shops and public areas where she can be seen or heard or on through friendly neighborhood areas. If you're still uneasy, she could go with a friend or you could have someone look out for her each day as she passes by and call you and have her call once she's at school. I'd say, go for it!

LeviM

Answer by LeviM at 10:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2009