Wedding and religions(those that follow a religion)

Obviously if you don't belong to a particular religion this question isn't for you.

Are there classes or meeting you have before the wedding?
How long(if any) is the waiting period?
Will they marry a couple if they are expecting?
Is divorce allowed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 PM on Aug. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Some pastors would like for the couple to go through marriage couseling first, so they will not go into it blindly.

Most will marry if you are expecting. I don't know any denomination that would not.

I won't say divorce is "not allowed" but it is not encouraged.
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 11:59 PM on Aug. 21, 2009

• I got married in an Anglican church and I had to do a premarital weekend thing before we could get married. My granny is a retired minister and she used to do one on one counselling with the couple, but most couples now can do the weekend thing. Ours was through the Catholic church and I thought it was a total waste of time. Anyway, yes the Anglicans will marry you if you are expecting (or have kids), divorce is allowed, and I don't remember hearing about a waiting period, but we weren't in a rush, we were engaged for over a year.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:01 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I believe this would be better fitting for monotheists, not those of a religion, since this pertains mainly to Christians, and their different denominations, or other monotheist religions, like Judaism, and Jehovah's Witnesses, etc.

Polytheists are religious, but believe in many Gods/esses, and none of this pertains to them.

otherwise, the differences are in the denominations and/or different churches and their leaders. You may get better responses, if you ask about denomination rules and such.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• ptomom, wow, I thought you deleted you account for a while there, haven't seen you on in ages.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:38 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Our church is strict, but it is good, LOL. We have a rule that we will only marry two Christians. We do pre-marital classes (6 weeks I think, where the couple is evaluated and taught the Biblical principles for marriage). I don't know how long the waiting period is. Once you finish classes and you are approved you can set the date.

We will not perform a ceremony if the couple is living together or in sexual sin. We would marry an expecting couple if they are repentant and abstaining from sex until the wedding.

It is pretty strict, but we take marriage really seriously because God does. And we don't want to set people up for an unhappy life.

We do not condone a divorce unless there is Biblical grounds for one (adultery, abuse). However, divorce is something that God will forgive, so while we discourage divorce we understand it happens and we seek to minister to the people in a Biblical way.

I hope that helps : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 2:26 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Sorry Hazel, but your wrong. This question is not mainly for Chrisitans as it does pertain to us pagans as well.

Are there classes or meeting you have before the wedding? No How long(if any) is the waiting period? Our Marriage is called a handfasting. Traditionally the couple is handfasted for a year and a day. After that time if the couple wishes to separate they may do so. Otherwise they are considered handfasted for life. Will they marry a couple if they are expecting? Yes Is divorce allowed? Yes

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 9:58 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Some Neopagan traditions do have "rules" or at least traditions dictating how marriage is handled, but it is almost always considered to be the decision of the individuals or their groups to decide how neccessary it is to follow the rules as prescribed. In general..
    Are there classes or meeting you have before the wedding? Some priests & priestesses require a meeting before preforming the ceremony, in some cases to make sure that the beliefs of the priest/ess & the couple align, but more often just to discuss the specifics of the ceremony. I have not heard of any group that requires "classes" or "counseling" but I suppose some covens might require it.How long(if any) is the waiting period? Some follow the "year & a day" philosophy which could be considered a kind of waiting period. Though most consider the first year to be a marriage, just with a time limit that requires a renewal of vows to continue.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• I have never heard of any group, tradition or individual priests or priestesses that will not marry a couple who are expecting. Nor am I familiar with any Pagan tradition that does not allow divorce, or even discourages divorce. There is a ceremony that "cuts the ties that bind" or provides a spiritual divorce for Neopagans, though not all consider it necessary.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• Pretty much no to everything you asked except divorce and that is yes if thats what the couple feels is necessary.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 11:03 AM on Aug. 22, 2009

• you didn't have to answer hazzeldove. There are Christian questions that don't pertain to my particular denomination and I just skip right over them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Aug. 22, 2009